Hi, welcome again, I’d like to share with you today, some great health benefits of groundnut, it is popularly known as peanut, monkey nut or goober. It belongs to the legume crops and taxonomically categorized as Arachis hypogea.
It can be classified as a grain legume and also as oil crop because of its high in oil content. Peanut pods grow underground.
Groundnut is an innate of Brazil. It is mostly grown in South India, Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra. Peanut plant is a creeping annual or bushy and its fruit ripen from underground. A sandy soil is the best to use for Groundnut cultivation.
In Nigeria, it Peanut is a popular grown crop in the arid and semi-arid zone. It is majorly planted for its nut, good oil or its vegetative excess (haulms).
Groundnuts are mainly used in the Mali for their meat stew called “maafe”.But in Ghana, the butter which is known as peanut butter is used for a peanut butter soup called ‘nkate nkwan’.
Basically, in Nigeria and Ghana groundnuts can be crushed to make peanut candies (nkate cake and kuli-kuli), including some local foods like to. Peanut butter is an important ingredient in the making of Nigeria’s popular food known as ‘African salad’.
Some West African countries like Nigeria and Ghana use peanut powder as an important ingredient for making spicy coating for their kebabs.
Groundnut are also used in a wide variety of other areas, such as: Peanut dye, peanut glue, peanut laxatives, peanut insecticide, peanut shampoo, biodiesel fuel etc.
Groundnut is majorly known as a healthy snack, But unknown to a lot of people, it has one of the best sources of protein. It is also very helpful with health matters arises. Though, peanuts can be considered to be very high in fat, but it is a good type of fat because it is a monounsaturated fat.
Groundnut basically contains foliate, magnesium, vitamin E, arginine and copper. It is also believed to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
According to some recent studies, the skins of peanuts have surplus amount of natural antioxidants and a very high content of dietary fiber. Whether it may be dark-roasted or light-roasted, let’s dabble into some of the health benefits of groundnut.
Major health benefits of groundnut:
- It helps to fight depression. More, peanut has great benefit for the skin. Peanut is a very good source of tryptophan, which is an essential amino acid that is important for the production of serotonin, which is one of the important brain chemicals involved in temperament regulation. When depression happens, a reduced amount of serotonin can be unconstrained from the nerve cells in the brain. Tryptophan will increase serotonin’s antidepressant effects when there is an augmented amount of serotonin in the blood.
- It aids the regulation of our blood sugar (Manganese) One fourth cup of peanuts can fund the body with about 35% of the DV of manganese, which is a mineral which plays a role in carbohydrate and fat metabolism, blood sugar regulation and calcium absorption.
- Looking at the benefits of groundnut in pregancy-Groundnuts contain a good quantity of folate. According to studies, it is shown that women who took of 400 micrograms of folic acid daily before and during their early pregnancy abridged the risk of having their baby born with a severe neural tube defect by up to 70%.
- Peanuts helps to prevent cancer because it contains a form phytosterol called beta-sitoserol (SIT) which is found in high concentrations in peanuts.
Phytosterols also helps to prevent against cardiovascular disease by meddling with the absorption of cholesterol.
- It helps to boosts memory Vitamin B3 can be found in peanuts which major health benefits is to help the brain function well and boost the memory power.
- Now to effect of groundnut on man- It provides natural man power which makes a man have enough stamina to last on bed when having sexual intercourse.
- It helps to prevent gallstones. According studies done for over 20 years it is shown that eating 1 ounce of peanuts or peanut butter a week reduce the risk of having gallstones by up to 25%.
- It lowers the risk of Obesity. Eating peanuts regularly helps to reduce the risk of gaining weight. Based on the some researches done, it is shown that people who eats groundnuts at least twice a week as a lower tendency of gaining weight than those who don’t eat it at all.
- It reduces the risk of having heart diseases. When peanuts are eaten regularly, it reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases just because peanuts are rich in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants. It is advised to take peanuts four times a week to reduce coronary heart diseases.
- Groundnut helps to repair tissues. It contains a very good quantity of phosphorus which is necessary for the human body to produce proteins necessary for the growth, body maintenance and the repairs of the cells and tissue. The protein in peanut serves as a good building block for the tissues ,blood, cells and bones.