Welcome to Chowhub.
We trust you are doing great!!!
We will learn how to make chicken pepper soup today !!! I love chicken pepper soup, I know you do too.
Pepper soup is a very popular soup in the West Africa region; it is a very spicy soup which is very light and watery in texture. It is consumed because it is considered to be delicacy, an appetizer or even as a refreshing soup; but some people consume it for medicinal purposes.
The major ingredient in making chicken pepper soup is the pepper soup spice which is made up of calabar nutmeg, negro seeds (uda seeds), alligator pepper (ulima/atariko),water, scotch bonnet, onions, scent leaves, and the secondary ingredients which is the chicken.
Chicken is the most common type of poultry in the world. It has been domesticated and consumed as food for thousands of years. There are many varieties of chicken including free-range chicken, organic chicken, and conventional chicken, and the differences between them relate to how they are fed and raised. While free-range chickens, as the term implies, roam freely in the pastures, conventional chickens, controversially, are kept in cages and not allowed to move freely. Conventional chickens are injected with hormones to speed growth and are sometimes kept in unhygienic and unhealthy conditions meaning they are also often treated with. organic chicken is the most expensive because they must have access to the outdoors, are only allowed to eat organically grown food. They are generally kept in healthy and clean conditions and allowed to grow naturally.
Chicken meat is sometimes called white meat, and it is the second most consumed meat in the world. Chicken meat can be fried, roasted or boiled.
Health benefit of eating chicken pepper soup
- Pepper soup is a good food for losing weight. Due to the fact that it contains a lot of pepper, this causes you to drink a lot of water and in turn helps you eat less, which causes you to lose weight. The spicy flavor in the pepper used helps to burn fat by activating an upsurge in the body temperature, this makes the fat in the body burns and it is expelled through sweat.
- Chicken is a great source of lean, low fat protein which contribute to muscle growth and development. That protein also helps support a healthy body weight and aids weight loss
- Pepper soup is very good for the heart because it regulates the heart rates and the functioning. The presence of potassium in the food helps to control the heart rate.
- Vitamin B6 (or B-complex vitamins) in chicken will keep blood vessels healthy, energy levels high, and metabolism burning away calories so you can manage a healthy weight..
- Pepper soup is good for awakening one’s appetite .It helps those who are finding it hard to eat. This is recommended especially for kids who are picky with food, they need a lot of nutrient to grow.
- If you’re entering your senior years and you’re concerned about Osteoporosis or arthritis, eating chicken will aid in your fight against bone loss thanks to the protein punch it packs
- It helps the respiratory system: Pepper soup can be taken as a natural remedy to cure colds, cough and any other respiratory issues. The presence of pepper in it provides warmth for the body which makes the respiratory system relaxed.
- Pepper soup is very good for new moms because it helps in the secretion of breast milk and cleaning the uterus too.
- The calabash nutmeg used in making the pepper soup spice helps us to have good teeth. According to studies, calabash nutmeg was used in the past to treat toothache. Pepper also prevents our teeth from having cavities and improves our dental health.
- Chicken are not only a good source of protein but also very rich in vitamins and minerals. For example, B vitamins help the body with energy production and also help form healthy red blood cells. in chicken helps in calcium absorption and bone strengthening
You see, this meal is tasty and very nutritious and fit for everybody; young, old, sick and even new moms!
Preparing chicken pepper soup is very easy and simple, so don’t be worried, you will do fine!!
Here is a list of ingredient to be used
- 20 – 30 pieces of chicken meat
- 5-7 pieces of scotch bonnet
- Ground pepper soup spice (negro pepper, alligator pepper and calabash nutmeg)
- 1 handful of sliced scent leaves or uziza leaves
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 8- 10 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of grounded crayfish
- 2 seasoning cubes
We have to make our pepper soup spice before we start cooking. You will need:
- 6 – 9 pieces of Calabash nutmeg
- 7 pieces of Negro pepper (Uda seeds)
- 1 tablespoon of alligator pepper (Ulima/Atariko)
Steps to make the spice
- Roast your calabash nutmeg in a frying pan till it starts turning dark brown and you can perceive the aroma. Remove from heat and gradually peel off the outer skin and bring out the seed inside.
- At this moment, put the Calabash nutmeg, Negro pepper (Uda seeds) and Alligator pepper in a blender, and grind till you get a fine powder.
- This makes about 3 tablespoon of pepper soup spice, store it in an air tight container.
We have prepared the pepper soup spice, we will now proceed with making our tasty chicken pepper soup.
- Wash and cut your chicken into small pieces
- Blend your scotch bonnet/habanero and onions then and pour into a small bowl.
- Put the chicken meat into a pot, chop half of the onion and add the seasoning cubes and salt. Let it boil for about 15- 20 minutes.
- After the chicken meat is boiled, pour it into a sieve and allow the stock to drain into a bowl.
- Pour the meats into a pot, add the blended scotch bonnet and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the ground pepper soup spice, lower the heat of your burner and let it cook for about 10 minutes. This will make the meats season properly.
- Add the ground crayfish and leave to boil for another 2 minutes.
- Re-season with salt and seasoning cubes to taste .
- Add the chopped vegetables (Scent leaves or uziza) into the boiling soup.
- Stir the soup very well
- Your chicken pepper soup is ready for munching
- This meal can be eaten with a chilled drink or it can be served with white rice , white yam or boiled plantain.