Welcome to ChowHub.
We will be learning how to make coconut fried rice. This rice is not like the conventional fried rice, but it is not too different from the fried rice we know. I see it as an innovation to the fried rice we are used to. so basically we will still need the same ingredients but we will be adding coconut milk this time around!!!
Coconut milk is gotten from the flesh of mature coconut. Coconut milk is a food ingredient used in South Asia,Oceania, Southeast Asia and East Africa. This milk is also used in the Caribbean,Tropical Latin America and West Africa for cooking.
Aside for cooking , coconut milk can be used for sweetening soy milk, making coconut oil, making coconut jam ( a product found in Southeast Asia and it is made with coconut milk and sugar). In the Philippines , coconut milk can also be processed into coconut curds and coconut caramel.
Here are some health benefit of coconut fried rice
- It contains some nutrients which helps the liver to flush out toxins from our body.
- This food also contains vitamin B6 which helps to lower the level of homocysteine which causes cardiac arrest.
- It contains vitaminB2 which gives us a healthy skin and is used for red blood cell production.
- coconut milk is a rich source of manganese, an adequate source of phosphorus, iron and magnesium.
- The coconut milk added to this meal is lactose free and high in calories and fats.
- The presence of vitamin A helps to make our eyes healthy and good.
- It is a good for muscle formation. If you are engaging in a program to build your muscles, fried coconut rice is one of the foods that will recommended for you to eat. This is because the food has high protein compound.
- The presence of vegetable fiber helps our digestion and keeps cholesterol and heart disease under control
Coconut fried rice is not a very popular dish, but it is one dish that is very tasty and nutritious too. You should try it out today!
Before we start cooking, there are some basic principles or things we must know in order to get perfect coconut fried rice!!!
- The key to creating very good rice is by making use of rice that has been cooked beforehand. Older rice is usually dryer, which reduces your probabilities of ending up with a meal that is wet and soggy. Using day old rice is good but using rice that is two or three days old is the best. If using old rice, make sure use rub the rice in between your palms to remove any form of clumps before cooking.
- You can use long grain white rice to prepare it but basmati rice is the best.
- One of the great secret of making delicious rice is that the ingredients (rice and vegetables) must be cooked separately, this helps them maintain their different flavors and they are later combined together at the final stages of cooking.
- You can use processed canned coconut milk or you can use your home made coconut milk.
- Make sure you don’t overcook your meal, so that you don’t end up having a messy food.
- It is best to season your chopped vegetables and leave to rest. This adds more flavor to your dish.
- In order to get nice and crispy dish, you have to need turn up the heat of your burner during the process of frying and continue to stir as you allow your rice to coo
Here are the Ingredients to be used.
- 3 cups of previously cooked rice
- 4 medium-sized carrots
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- Chicken or beef stock
- 1 large green pepper
- 2 bulbs of spring onions
- 1 large white onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 handful of fresh green peas
- 1 handful of sweet corn
- ½ cup of beef liver (chopped into cubed sizes)
- ½ cup of vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 2 seasoning cubes
- A dash of turmeric or curry powder
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Coconut shavings ( finely grated coconut)
- Wash the vegetables, peel your carrots, rinse and cut the carrots into cubes, chop the remaining vegetables, season them and set aside
- Boil your fresh green peas with salt and boil for 10-15 minutes
- In a pot, pour the rice, add your stock, the coconut milk, seasoning cubes, salt, curry powder or turmeric, cayenne pepper. Cook till the rice is done
- Make sure your rice is not too soft or soggy (the grains should not stick together)
- In a pan, heat up your vegetable oil; chopped onion, minced garlic and ginger stir and fry for few seconds then add in seasoned vegetables which you have set aside, then add in your sweet corn, green peas and fry for a few minutes.
- At this stage, you can add the coconut shavings ( finely grated coconut)
- Pour your rice into batches into the fried veggies and stir fry till you have finally fried all the rice.
- Your delicious coconut fried rice is ready to be served. You can enjoy with salad, fried chicken, meat, fish, or turkey.