Fish-roll is a very popular Nigerian snack that is found and sold in almost every street corners, confectionery shops,salons, school’s mini-mart, retail outlets etc. it is not expensive to produce and it is also less time consuming,this is major reason an average Nigerian woman has an idea of making. It is one of the easy and simplest snack to make.
You can easily source for the ingredient to be used for the fish roll is not expensive to make the snack;that is why it is very easy for people to make it conveniently.
Fish roll consists majorly of a dough which is flattened lightly, cut and shaped into rectangle shape and stuffed with mashed fish fillings, rolled into cylindrical shapes and baked or fried till golden brown.
Remember i mentioned earlier that you can either bake or fry your fish roll and that is because you can decide to go the healthy which is by baking or you can just enjoy the moment by frying it. Any method you choose just make sure your fish roll sauce recipe is on point.
You can either make your fish roll with yeast or baking powder, when you are baking you have to use baking powder and if you choose to fry you have to use either yeast or baking powder. The fillings which is a sauce consists of mashed fish, onions, pepper and little spice.
When you make this snack with the baking method ,the pastry has to be like that of meat pie or chicken pie and you can actually decide to change the shape of your fish roll to that of meat pie and make it a Nigerian fish pie
Making Nigerian fish roll for sale is a quick way of making money in Nigeria once you make it in large quantities, distribute and sell to customers.
Today we will be dealing with fried fish roll.
- For making the pastry you need:
- 500g of Flour
- 3 Tablespoon of Butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar(this is optional if want a savory but not too sweet taste)
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder or Yeast
- 1/2 Cup of water(you can use just a quantity that will be enough to combine the pastry well
- Pinch of salt
For the fish roll filling you need:
- Fresh mackerel fish (Titus) or any other fish of your choice
- 1 medium-sized onions (Chopped)
- Chopped or grated red bell pepper and habanero pepper
- Mixed spices (should be in moderation)
- 1 Seasoning cube
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil (or any other oil of choice)
TOOLS TO BE USED:
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Pastry cutter
- Frying pan
- Measuring spoons
How to make the fish sauce:
- Cut the fish into pieces and wash the fish, season the fish with the seasoning cube and salt, then you place it on your burner and start cooking.
- Cook for about 20 minutes and allow too cool down before you debone the fish.
- After deboning, mash the fish and transfer into a clean bowl.
- Place your frying pan on fire and pour little vegetable oil all allow to heat for some seconds, then add in your onions, stir till translucent then add in your grated or chopped mixed pepper and allow to fry for about 10 minutes before adding your mixed spices.At this junction, you can add in your mashed titus fish and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
Procedure for making the fish rolls:
- In a clean bowl pour your flour(make sure it is sieved),butter, salt, sugar, baking powder, eggs and mix with your hands. Then add in your water bit by bit and knead the dough until it gets smooth and firm.
- When your dough it formed properly, cover it and make sure you set it aside for about 7 minutes to allow to it rest for sometime but if you are using yeast allow to rise for about 20 minutes.
- The next thing you is to place your dough on a flat board/table and cut out into small bits. Using your rolling pin, roll out the small bit dough until it’s flat and then cut into rectangular shaped form.
- On the cut out shapes, add about 2 table spoon of the fish roll sauce which you prepared earlier and spread it to one side of the edges of the rectangle shaped dough.
- Roll the rectangle shaped dough filled with the fillings into cylindrical forms and transfer into the oil set on the heat. (put water at the other end of the cut out dough to ensure the fish roll does not open up while frying)
- Heat the oil till hot (not too hot) and fry the fish rolls on low heat until it’s becomes crusty and golden brown. Transfer the fish rool on kitchen paper towel to cool remove the excess oil
- Repeat this same procedure for the other rolls until you have finished frying everything.
N.B: It is best to eat your fish roll when and you can chilled drink like Zobo drink on a sunny day.