Welcome again to ChowHub, today, we are doing something different, and I’m sure you will love it. I will try as much as possible to make this ‘How to make Shawarma‘ guide as detailed and explanatory as possible.
Shawarma is a popular street food all over the world. It is a tasty dish which has been termed as part of traditional Levantine cuisine.
It was first prepared at Ottoman Turkey in the 19th century and was originally made from mutton or lamb, but the shawarma of today is made with chicken, beef, veal or sausages which is cut in thin slices and piled in a cone-shaped on a vertical skewer which can be grilled for a whole day.
The food got its name from how it is traditionally prepared .Shawarma which is an Arabian word comes from a Turkish word which means ‘turning’.
It is a popular fast food across Europe, Middle East and North Africa. Its popularity is fast growing in West Africa especially in Nigeria and Ghana.
Shawarma is commonly served as a wrap or sandwich but it can also be served on plate.It is made by interchangeably piling strips of thin pieces of seasoned meat on a vertical skewer.
It is a fast food which is eaten with smoked vegetables. Iskandar shawarma was the first made in turkey while the popular shawarmas of today are made of chicken, meat or fish.
The beef or chicken is deboned and split, yet the skin is left on. The dressing encompasses of lots of ginger, lemon, garlic, cucumber, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, dried lime, vinegar, zesty paprika etc.
In Nigeria, Shawarma, is mostly eaten by youths at cafeterias, parties, pubs etc.
Without any doubt, shawarma is a simple snack which can be served for dinner, but according to various studies have shown, it is not so healthy because of the rotating vertical skewer comprises of some layers of fat. Furthermore, the spices used in seasoning the beef has high sodium content. Though, chicken shawarma is the best and very healthy and safe to consume. It does not contain fat.
According to the current statistics, when you eat one shawarma made of lamb, gives you 500 calories and 20g fat. But, shawarma made of chicken provides 15g of fat and 400 calories. In conclusion, when you are buying shawarma, go for the chicken shawarma.
Chicken Shawarma is a good source of proteins, vitamin A, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6,Iron, folate, sodium, magnesium, calcium and thiamine. Apart from this, it also contains some amounts of sugar, cholesterol, fats and dietary fiber.
In Nigeria, shawarma is one of the major street food, it is mostly eaten by youths. Chicken /Beef are the only types of meat used in making shawarma in Nigeria and the other fillings which goes with the meat are cucumber, cabbage, mayonnaise etc.
For you to enjoy your shawarma with a lot healthy fillings ,it is best you make it at home.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING NIGERIAN CHICKEN SHAWARMA
- 2 chicken laps(deboned)
- 2 chicken breasts(deboned)
- 7 wraps of pita/tortilla bread(depending on the number of people you are serving)
- 4 medium-sized carrots(cut into thin shreds)
- A medium-sized cabbage(cut into thin shreds)
- 1 big cucumber(cut into thin shreds)
- 3 tomatoes(cut into thin shreds)
- 2 tbsp of vegetables.
FOR THE MARINADE:
- 1 tsp curry
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp of minced onion
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 chicken seasoning cube
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- ½ tsp of cayenne pepper(optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Put your thin shredded vegetables into different plates and set aside.
- Cut your chicken breasts and thighs into thin shreds.
- Put the chicken breast and thighs shred into a bowl, add the marinade ingredients and mix it very well until it is well combined. Then cover or put in a Ziploc bag and store in your fridge for 2 to 10hrs(Depending on how much time you have to make it, but the longer the time it marinates, the better it tastes)
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a pan then fry the marinate chicken the shreds till golden brown and set aside.
- Mix your ketchup and mayonnaise and spread on your pita/tortilla bread.
- Add your vegetables fried chicken shreds after adding the spread on the bread and sprinkle your cayenne pepper(if you are using it)
- Fold your bread at the edge and roll it in the shawarma way
- You can heat up in the microwave to enjoy it better.
N:B– You can make your beef shawarma using this same method.