Beans are one of the longest cultivated plant, currently the gene-banks hold about 40,000 bean varieties although not all are mass-produced for consumption!!
We have the broad bean, Tepary bean,Runner bean, Lima bean,Pinto bean,Kidney bean,Black bean,Moth bean,Urad bean, Bambara bean ,Mung bean, Ricebean, Lentils, Hyacinth bean .
Beans are very rich in protein, iron and complex carbohydrate. Beans also have significant amount of soluble fiber and fiber. Soluble fiber has been shown to help lower blood cholesterol.
Beans contains nutrients that helps to protect against heart disease and other chronic disease
It is a vital meal for young children. In Nigeria, the popular beans one can find easily are the white beans, brown beans, honey beans( ewa Oloyin).
So you see, eating beans is also in your advantage. It is usually tasty, soft and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Most edible beans contains raffinose and starchyose. This class of sugars are called oligosacharides. A human digestive tract does not contain any anti-oligosacharide enzyme that is necessary to properly digest these sugar molecules. The digestion of the consumed oligosacharide is done by bacteria in the large intestine, this process produces flatulence.
An anti-oligosacharide enzyme like alpha -galactosidase can be taken to facilitate digestion of raffinose and starchyose in the small intestine. This enzyme is sold and can be added to food or consumed separately. In some part of the world, beans are cooked along with natural carminative( substance that relieves discomfort of gas in digestive tract) such as cumin, anise seeds and coriander seeds.
Beans is a common food in Nigeria but it is not enjoyed by most people due to issues with indigestion and flatulence!!
Dont worry, we got you covered. we will share tips on how to curb this issues
Boiled beans can be enjoyed with stew, rice, plantain, with yam.
These are the ingredient that would be needed
- 2 cups of beans
- 1 medium sized onion
- salt to taste
- 1 seasoning cube ( optional)
- Pour your beans into a tray and pick the beans carefully
- Discard every unwanted material and impurities from the beans
- Soak the beans in cold water for 4 hours.
- This step is done to reduce the flatulence associated with eating beans
- Take out the beans, boil for 5 minutes and discard the water.
- Wash the beans and keep aside
- The soaking and pre- cooking process will help reduce the issues associated with eating beans
- Chop the onion and set aside
- Pour the beans into a pot,add water to the level of the beans and apply heat.
- Add the chopped onion and salt and stir
- Cook the beans until tender or edible
- Check the beans texture by pressing in between your fingers
- If not fully cooked, add little water
- You can add the seasoning cube now ( optional)
- Mix well and check if all the liquid is dried up
- When the liquid is dried, your beans is ready to be served
- Your boiled beans can be eaten with stew, rice, fried plantain