WELCOME TO CHOWHub
Beans and plantain porridge is a general meal in Nigeria that is cooked with beans and plantain.
Beans are very rich in protein, iron and complex carbohydrate. Beans also have significant amount of soluble fiber and fiber. Soluble fiber has been shown to help lower blood cholesterol.
Beans contains nutrients that helps to protect against heart disease and other chronic disease
Plantain are referred to as banana cultivars which are eaten after being cooked
Plantains are rich source of complex carbohydrate , vitamins and minerals. They are easily digestible
Cooked plantain are a rich source of fiber, vitamin A, C and vitamin B6. Fiber is important because it promotes bowel regularity. Antioxidant like vitamin C protect the body against free radicals damage that has been associated with aging and heart disease and also helps build up the immune system.
The high amount of potassium found in plantain are also essential for maintaining the cell and body fluids. plantains can also be added to weight loss meal.
I believe you will agree with me that this meal is nutritious for both the young and old. And it is very tasty too
Most Nigerian parent cook this meal in order to get their kids to eat beans. Ripe plantain is preferably used because of the sweet taste it gives to the food. The sweet taste of the ripe plantain makes the meal more appetizing to kids.
To prepare this meal is very easy and it can be served at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Here are the Ingredients that will needed in making this meal
- 2 cups of beans ( brown or white beans)
- 6 tablespoons of palm oil
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 3 ripe plantains
- 1 onion
- grounded pepper
- grounded crayfish
- Pour your beans into a tray and pick the beans carefully
- Discard every unwanted material and impurities from the beans
- Soak the beans in cold water for 4 hours.
- This step is done to reduce the flatulence associated with eating beans
- Take out the beans, boil for 5 minutes and discard the water.
- Wash the beans and keep aside
- The soaking and pre- cooking process will help reduce the issues associated with eating beans
- Chop the onion and set aside
- wash and peel the plantains, cut into tiny cubes
- Pour the beans into a pot,add water to the level of the beans and apply heat.
- Add some of the chopped onion
- Cook the beans until tender, you can add little water if the water gets dried up
- Add the plantains when you are sure the beans is tender and cook for 10 minutes
- Add the pepper, onion,crayfish, seasoning cubes and salt( to taste) into the porridge.
- Pour the palm oil into the beans, stir and leave to cook for 7 minute.
- Put off the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes
- You can now stir the beans and plantain porridge very well
- Your beans and plantain porridge is ready for munching.
- This beans porridge can be eaten and enjoyed with chilled water
- NOTE: Other vegetable like pumpkin can be added to this meal, buts its very optional