Today’s article is on how to grill fish. Some people love eating grilled fish than fresh ones, which is why we decided to write on it. Also, we invite you to check our blog too on how to grill chicken!
Fish is a general food in the riverine area of Nigeria and other parts of Nigeria as well. It is also a major source of food protein.
Grilling is a form of cooking. To grill means to apply dry heat to the surface of food. Grilling has often been said to be a healthy alternative to frying with oils. Different types of fish can be grilled and enjoyed with either plantain ( Bole), rice or coleslaw. It is usually served in evening bars and restaurants.
There are different methods of grilling, these methods are not quite distinct from each other.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- How to make fried yam
- How to make sausage rolls
- How to Make Akara
- HOW TO MAKE PLANTAIN PORRIDGE
- HOW TO MAKE IKOKORE
- How to make Akara with bean flour
- How to Make party Jollof Rice
- How to make Efo Riro
- HOW TO MAKE PLANTAIN MOSA
- How To Make Ugba
- Grill-baking: A combination of roasting and grilling which involves using a baking sheet pan above the surface of the grill
- Gridironing: Cooking meats with a grill suspended over a heat source
- Indoor grilling: The use of electric or gas-based heating elements for grilling. Many restaurants use this method.
- Flattop grilling: Grilling using a hot griddle or flat pan over a high heat
- Whole grilling: Involves grilling the whole carcass instead of grilling sized parts and cuts.
- Food retains its mineral and vitamins while grilling
- Fish is low on fats, can also be classified as lean meat
- Omega-3 fatty acids that help keep the brain and heart healthy is present in a large proportion in fish
- Rich source of minerals like potassium, iodine, zinc, magnesium, iron
- Provides the body with vitamin D which is important for bone health and growth
- Lowers risk of heart disease
- Fish oil is also beneficial to the health of the human skin
- It helps lower the risk of strokes and cancer,lower blood pressure.
- Grilling also encourages bonding between family and friends since it is majorly an outdoor activity, you could be playing and grilling!
- 2 whole fish( Croaker, Tilapia, etc)
- 1 tablespoon of grounded black pepper
- Grounded red chili pepper( 1 teaspoon)
- Seasoning cube
- 2 spoon of blended onion
- Two tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil
- One teaspoon of ginger and garlic powder
- First of all, wash and clean the fish properly. remove all dirt, scales, gut.
- Rinse the fish and make lengthwise cuts on the fish
- These cuts are to help the marinade penetrate into the fish
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredient listed except the fish
- You can use a brush or clean hands to rub the marinade on the fish and inside the fish through the cuts
- Leave the fish to marinate for at least 4 hours but for the best result you can leave to marinate overnight ( 8 hours)
- While the fish is almost done marinating, preheat the oven grill for 20minutes at 180C or 375F
- When the fish is ready, grease the grill with oil and place the fish on the grill
- Leave to grill for 30-40 minutes.
- Also, remember to flip the fish while it is grilling to enable even heat distribution
- The fish is ready when it is brown and fully cooked on both sides
- Turn off heat and take out the fish
- You can serve the fish with pepper sauce, roasted plantain, rice or you can enjoy it with coleslaw and a chilled drink.
Video on how to grill fish
We are glad you have learned how to grill fish, feel free to drop comments and questions. Also, do not forget to invite family and friends. Above all, share and continue to check our blog for other delicious Nigerian food like Abacha, party jollof rice, etc