Today’s article is one of the fast-growing dishes which was newly discovered a few years back in WestAfrica, especially Nigeria. A lot of people now ask about how to make cabbage swallow because it is the new baby in town.
This dish came in as a substitute to our high carb swallows like eba, fufu, pounded yam,semo e.t.c. It was discovered by people who were on a diet, most especially the ketogenic diet.
It was said that in order to make any diet work faster, we need to avoid high carb foods, and as we all know, Nigerian swallows are high in it.
But as a true Nigerian we cannot stop eating our traditional soups because they are our heritage. The introduction of cabbage swallow which is a low carb made it easy to be on a diet and still enjoy our soups.
The big twist about this dish is that you have to prepare it with psyllium husk.
What is Psyllium Husk?
It is a soluble fiber gotten from seeds of a plant known as Plantago ovata which is mainly grown in India.
The main reason why it is used in cabbage swallow is because it serves as a binder, without it the cabbage swallow will just be falling apart.
It will also provide fiber into dish and also serve as a laxative if taken in high quantity.
How to make cabbage swallow without Psyllium Husk
You may be wondering, is it really possible do make cabbage swallow without psyllium husk? Yes, it is possible but not advisable to do so. Why because the substitute people use is garri.
Garri can be used to bind the swallow together but I will not advise you to do so because this will actually nullify the purpose of substituting your high carb swallow for cabbage swallow.
The addition of garri will only increase the carbohydrate in the swallow. We can see that psyllium husk is till the best binder for cabbage swallow.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SWALLOW
- How to make pounded yam
- How to Make Akara
- HOW TO MAKE CHAPMAN
- How to make rice and beans
- How to make coconut fried rice
- How to grill fish
- HOW TO MAKE OJOJO
- How to make coconut chips
- HOW TO MAKE COCONUT FLOUR
Health Benefits Of Cabbage Swallow
- Due to the presence of the antioxidants in it, it helps to keep any form of inflammation in the body in check.
- It is very low in carbohydrates and also in calories which is very good for a diet.
- Cabbage is rich in fiber, this improves the health of the digestive system and also keeps it happy.
- It lowers the cholesterol level in the body due to some healthy substance in cabbage and psyllium husk.
- 1 medium-sized cabbage
- 2 Tbsp of psyllium husk
- Wooden spoon
- Cheesecloth/Sieve cloth
- Wash the cabbage, cut it into medium sizes, place in a blender and add some water(enough to blend the cabbage easily) and blend it till it becomes a puree.
- Place the cheesecloth in a bowl and pour the cabbage puree into it to drain the excess water. You have to squeeze the cheesecloth to drain the water.
- Pour the drain puree in a pot, place on a burner on medium heat and begin to stir, in a few minutes it will start to thicken.
- At this junction, add in the psyllium husk and continue to stir, you will notice that the swallow is coming together like a dough.
- Scoop in a cling film and allow it to cool for some minutes.
- Your cabbage swallow is ready.
- You can make cabbage swallow with Ogbono or any other traditional soup of your choice.
VIDEO OF HOW TO CABBAGE SWALLOW:
I hope this article on how to make cabbage swallow has been helpful. Don’t forget to like, comment and share. You can also check our other posts on a healthy diet like how to make coconut flour, coconut oil, and couscous.