Chicken pie is a fast-rising snack in Nigeria, it’s becoming popular! you might be among those who have been wishing they knew how to make chicken pie. If yes, we made this post for you.
Many people are beginning to fall in love with this snack. Chicken pie is like a twin to meat-pie, the major difference between them is in their filling. Meat pie is filled with minced beef while chicken pie is filled with minced chicken.
This snack can be eaten at any time of the day, it is very rich in nutrients and very easy to make.
Chicken pie is made with flour, vegetables, and minced chicken. Making this snack involves three processes which include, preparing the filling, preparing the dough and lastly baking the pie.
Sit tight as we take you through the processes involved in making this snack.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO MAKE MASA
- HOW TO MAKE OJOJO
- HOW TO MAKE OKPA
- How to make palm oil rice
- How to make Akara with bean flour
- How to make fried yam
- How to make Yam balls
- How to make Fried Rice
- How to make chicken curry sauce
- How to make pounded yam
- Most importantly, chicken is a great source of lean, low-fat protein that contributes to muscle growth and development.
- protein also helps support a healthy body weight and aids weight loss
- Vitamin B6 (or B-complex vitamins) in chicken help keep blood vessels healthy, energy levels high, and metabolism burning away calories so you can manage a healthy weight
- Eating chicken will aid in your fight against bone loss thanks to the protein punch it packs
- Chicken is not only a good source of protein but also very rich in vitamins and minerals.
- For example, B vitamins help the body with energy production and also help form healthy red blood cells.
- In addition, Vitamin D in chicken helps in calcium absorption and bone strengthening
- Good source of energy as it contains a high amount of protein, carbohydrates.
- 9 cups of flour
- 0.5kg of boneless chicken
- 0.5 kg of margarine
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 pinches of salt
- 2 cups of water
- 3 big carrot
- 2 medium-sized Irish potato
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 piece of seasoning cubes
- 1 teaspoon of curry,1 teaspoon of thyme
- 2 raw eggs
- First of all, Pour 8 cups of flour into a big bowl, add 2 pinches of salt and 2 teaspoons of baking powder and mix together
- Cut your margarine into small bits and add the pieces into the flour
- Mix thoroughly until the mixture becomes like crumbs
- Gradually add a little water ( cold water)
- Then, mix together, knead until you make a dough that is stiff and perfect
- Leave for 8 minutes
- Break the eggs in a small bowl, whisk them and keep aside
- Now we will prepare the filling
- Wash and mince(grind) the chicken
- Wash and chop onion, carrot, and potatoes and keep aside
- Pour the vegetable oil into a pot and apply heat
- Add onions, stir, then add the meat. fry till the meat changes color
- Now add 1 cup of water, add seasoning cubes, curry, thyme and leave to boil
- When you notice it has started boiling, add chopped carrot and potatoes. leave the pot to cook for sometime
- Also, in a cup, add 2 tablespoons of flour to half cup of water, stir till it is dissolved, then pour into the pot on the fire
- Stir the resulting mixture very well, take the pot down and leave to cool
- Furthermore, the flour and water mix helps to bind the filings and also retain the moisture of the filling
- Now you can set your oven to 335 °F and leave to preheat
- Grease the insides of the oven tray or pan to be used in baking with margarine, and keep aside
- Place the dough on a flat surface, knead it, roll it out, it shouldn’t be too thick or light
- Use a cutter i.e a small bowl or a meat pie cutter to make round cuts on the dough
- Excess dough should be removed and kept aside
- Now add some chicken pie filling into the center of the dough. dont overfill the dough
- Rub the egg on the edges of the dough you are working on
- Carefully close the dough and seal with a fork
- Then, Repeat the process of filling and closing till you are done with all the dough and filling
- Place each of the dough + fillings into the egg. this is to give the chicken pie a unique brown color. this step is optional
- Now place your chicken pie into the oven tray or pan that has been prepared
- Place the tray inside the oven and bake for 30 minutes or more. the time of baking depends on your oven
- Nevertheless, the pie is cooked when the color of the dough changes to light brown
- When you notice the color of the dough has changed completely. turn off heat and allow to cool
- Your chicken pie is ready
- This yummy pastry can be served with chilled drinks
video on how to make chicken pie
We are confident that you can make chicken pie now. do not forget to share, invite friends and families. Above all, continue to check our page for other popular Nigeria food like eggroll, fish roll, samosa, etc. Cheers.