Chinchin has been a top-ranking snack in Nigeria for decades now, it is a snack that binds the whole region of Nigeria together. This wonderful crunchy snack with a texture of a cracker and a taste like that of a small dry cake generates a lot of discussions and has many variations to it because it can be made in different ways.
Most people actually make chinchin for sale here in Nigeria that is why you can find this snack at every corner of the streets, supermarket and grocery stores. Some people also just make chinchin out of fun i.e to be eaten at home.
Chin chin can also be also called African croquettes. This snack is also widely eaten in Cameroon and it is known as ross or croquettes du mboa over there, this is to let you know that chinchin is not only limited to Nigeria but also extends to other African countries, but I think that a lot of people still prefers the Nigerian and Cameroonian chinchin recipes.
Chinchin is also known as a small chop, it is served at different kinds of parties such as weddings, birthdays etc. as an appetizer. Your party is definitely not complete without chinchin.
There are a lot of chinchin recipes in Nigeria- I mean a lot sometimes I feel that they are even uncountable. Chinchin ingredients and measurements are endless. It all depends on the taste and texture you actually prefer. Some spices that can be added to it are CInnamon or nutmeg, ginger, garlic, grounded chilli pepper(In fact the list to all the spices that can be used is really long) or you can make the chinchin without spices and just make a plain buttery or flavoured vanilla chinchin.
The basic and traditional ingredients of making chinchin are flour, butter, sugar, milk and salt. Eggs and baking soda can be optional, some people even make theirs by making chinchin with yeast. Like I stated earlier, there is no one-way method to making this snack; just do what actually pleases you.
Due to the variations in making chinchin the following will guide you:
If you want a firmer and crisper snack, do not put eggs.
If you want a crispy outside and soft inside snack, just add a small amount of baking powder.
For a brioche-like snack, just add more eggs and less milk.
Finally, to get a chinchin that is less sweet, just add more salt and less sugar.
Chinchin is a fried snack but sometimes it can be baked.
- 4 cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 2½ tablespoons of milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup of sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- if you are using eggs just beat the eggs and set aside.
- Pour your sugar into a small bowl, add the milk and mix thoroughly with the sugar and also set aside.
- In another bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg, then mix the ingredients well.
- After on, add your butter. Combine thoroughly with your hands until the flour looks like fine bread crumbs.
- Combine the eggs and the milk-sugar mixture into the bowl and mix well, then add in flour mixture and combine it till you get a smooth and stiff dough. In case you are using powdered milk, you can just add a little water to get this consistency.
- Now place your dough on a floured flat surface and knead it for a minute. Then using a rolling pin (if you don’t have a rolling pin, you can use a bottle) roll the dough flat to a thickness of 1/4 inch and cut into any shape of choice. N.B: The dough doubles in size when frying, so don’t cut it too big.
- Heat up the vegetable on fire oil until very hot and fry the Chin Chin dough. Stir continuously on fire until all the chinchin changes from white to a golden brown snack.
N.B: Ensure you fry your chinchin in batches and also make sure you don’t fry too much at time so that you wouldn’t end up having your chinchin soaked with oil.
- Transfer the fried chinchin to a flat tray or pan allow to cool completely, then you can store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
- Chinchin can be kept for more than 4 weeks if kept in an airtight container.
- Chinchin is best enjoyed with a chilled drink.
HOW TO MAKE CHINCHIN VIDEO