Hurray!!!!. We will be learning how to make coconut fried rice today. I cant wait to get started..
This rice is not like the conventional fried rice, but it is not too different from the fried rice we know. I see it as an innovation to the fried rice we are used to. So basically we will still need the same ingredients but we will be adding coconut milk this time around!!!
Coconut milk is gotten from the flesh of mature coconut. Coconut milk is a food ingredient used in South Asia,Oceania, Southeast Asia and East Africa. This milk is also used in the Caribbean,Tropical Latin America and West Africa for cooking.
Aside for cooking , coconut milk can be used for sweetening soy milk, making coconut oil, making coconut jam ( a product found in Southeast Asia and it is made with coconut milk and sugar). In the Philippines , coconut milk can also be processed into coconut curds and coconut caramel.
Coconut Fried rice is not popular in Nigeria like its mother Fried rice, but it is very tasty and Nutritious.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO MAKE NKWOBI
- How to make soya bean cake( Wara)
- How to make spring rolls
- How to Prepare Jollof Rice
- HOW TO MAKE AGIDI
- How to make sausage rolls
- HOW TO MAKE UKWA
- How to make rice and beans
- Nigerian food menu
- HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SWALLOW
Here are some health benefit of coconut fried rice
- It contains some nutrients which helps the liver to flush out toxins from our body.
- This food also contains vitamin B6 which helps to lower the level of homocysteine which causes cardiac arrest.
- It contains vitaminB2 which gives us a healthy skin and is used for red blood cell production.
- coconut milk is a rich source of manganese, an adequate source of phosphorus, iron and magnesium.
- The coconut milk added to this meal is lactose free and high in calories and fats.
- The presence of vitamin A helps to make our eyes healthy and good.
- It is a good for muscle formation. If you are engaging in a program to build your muscles, fried coconut rice is one of the foods that will recommended for you to eat. This is because the food has high protein compound.
- The presence of vegetable fiber helps our digestion and keeps cholesterol and heart disease under control
Things to note
Before we start cooking, there are some basic principles or things we must know in order to get perfect coconut fried rice!!!
- The key to creating very good rice is by making use of rice that has been cooked beforehand. Older rice is usually dryer, which reduces your probabilities of ending up with a meal that is wet and soggy. Using day old rice is good but using rice that is two or three days old is the best. If using old rice, make sure use rub the rice in between your palms to remove any form of clumps before cooking.
- You can use long grain white rice to prepare it but basmati rice is the best.
- One of the great secret of making delicious rice is that the ingredients (rice and vegetables) must be cooked separately, this helps them maintain their different flavors and they are later combined together at the final stages of cooking.
- You can use processed canned coconut milk or you can use your home made coconut milk.
- Make sure you don’t overcook your meal, so that you don’t end up having a messy food.
- It is best to season your chopped vegetables and leave to rest. This adds more flavor to your dish.
- In order to get nice and crispy dish, you have to need turn up the heat of your burner during the process of frying and continue to stir as you allow your rice to cook
- 3 cups of previously cooked rice
- 4 medium sized carrot
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- Chicken or beef stock
- White Onion ( 1)
- one large green pepper
- A handful of green peas
- sweet corn ( A handful)
- 2 bulb of spring onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic and ginger
- 5 -7 pieces of beef liver
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 3 seasoning cubes
- One teaspoon of curry powder or tumeric
- Two teaspoon of blended habenero pepper( optional)
- Coconut shavings ( finely grated coconut)
- First of all, wash the vegetables, peel your carrots, rinse and cut the carrots into cubes, chop the remaining vegetables, season them and set aside
- Boil your fresh green peas with salt and boil for 10-15 minutes
- In a pot, pour the rice, add your stock, the coconut milk, seasoning cubes, salt, curry powder or turmeric, blended pepper. Cook till the rice is done
- Make sure the rice is not too soft or soggy i.e the grains should not stick together
- In a pan, heat up vegetable oil; add chopped onion, minced garlic and ginger, stir and fry for few seconds then add in seasoned vegetables which you have set aside, sweet corn, green peas and fry for a few minutes.
- Also, at this stage, you can add the coconut shavings ( finely grated coconut)
- Pour the rice in batches into the fried veggies and stir fry till you have finally fried all the rice.
- Finally, Your delicious coconut fried rice is ready to be served. You can enjoy with salad, fried chicken, meat, fish, or turkey.
Video on how to make coconut fried rice
We are confident that you have learnt how to make coconut fried rice,above all, we would love to read from you, please do ask questions, invite friends and family. Also do not hesitate to check our website for other delicious Nigerian food like beans porridge, jollof spaghetti