Today’s article will be on how to make coleslaw, it is popularly known as salad in Nigeria but we are happy to tell you the correct name to that dish that you love so much!!
Coleslaw also known as slaw is a type of salad that consists of shredded raw cabbage and a salad dressing. Coleslaw came from a Dutch word koosla which means cabbage salad.
A salad is a type of dish that consists of different mixture of small pieces of food usually fruits or vegetables.
Coleslaw originated from the Netherlands in the 18th century. As at then, it consisted of cabbage, melted butter, vinegar, and oil but as time went on, other ingredient has been added. These new ingredients include carrot, onion, apple, pepper, grated cheese. Mayonnaise is also a new addition!
Coleslaw is quite popular in Nigeria, it is usually served in ceremonies like dedication, weddings, birthdays and thanksgiving alongside party jollof rice, fried rice etc.
It can be served as a side dish with chips, grilled chicken, and grilled fish.
Most people enjoy eating jollof rice, fried rice, and even white rice with coleslaw, so you see, this food is loved and eaten by the young and old.
It’s best to make coleslaw by yourself as to avoid unhealthy ingredients like unhealthy hydrogenated oils.
The entire ingredients used in making coleslaw are easy to get food items and you can buy them and store too, although not for long!
This food can be eaten at any time of the day. so sit tight as we teach on how to make coleslaw
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO MAKE COUSCOUS
- HOW TO MAKE CHAPMAN
- HOW TO MAKE TIGER NUT FLOUR
- Health Benefits of Groundnut
- HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE ICE CREAM
- HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SWALLOW
- HOW TO PREPARE ZOBO DRINK
- How to make Kunu
- HOW TO MAKE CARROT OIL
- HOW TO MAKE COCONUT FLOUR
- Provides the body with a significant amount of vitamin K that is critical for blood clotting and reducing excessive bleeding
- And vitamin c that protect the body against certain cancers
- High in fiber and possess antioxidant like polyphenols
- Low in calorie and edible fat, making it a good choice for your weight loss plan
- Coleslaw help to improve digestion, the health of the digestive system and also promote bowel movement.
- It helps to lower unhealthy levels of LDL cholesterol.
- Presents the body with other vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin B, folate, and minerals like potassium, calcium, manganese
- Good for the skin, Helps our to skin to glow more
- 1 medium-sized cabbage
- 7 medium carrot
- Small onion (1)
- 1 green bell pepper
- Sugar ( optional)
- 3 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon of salad cream
- A pinch of salt
- ½ freshly cut lemon.
- If you have a food processor at home, then you have saved yourself from stress. First, attach the grating blade to the food processor, and place the carrot and cabbage in it and it will cut it well.
- If you don’t have a food processor, we got you covered, the process is not too stressful too
- Wash all the vegetables to be used
- Cut the onion, green bell pepper, and cabbage separately into tiny pieces
- Scrape the carrots and shred it using a grater.
- In a large bowl, mix the cabbage, pepper, onion, and carrot thoroughly
- In a separate bowl, mix an equal proportion of mayonnaise and salad cream. Squeeze the lemon juice into it
- Combine very well and taste
- Add ½ teaspoon of sugar, and a pinch of salt, mix well
- Pour half of the cream mix into the bowl of salad, stir very well
- Place in the fridge and leave to chill
- When you are about to serve the salad, bring it out and add the remaining cream mix
- Mix together and serve
- You can serve coleslaw with any type of rice dish, like coconut fried rice, fried rice, jollof rice, palm oil rice.
- Alternatively, it can be enjoyed with grilled chicken, or grilled fish and chips
- You can still decide to eat it alone with a chilled drink.
video on how to make coleslaw
We are confident that you have learnt how to make coleslaw, do not forget to drop comments, questions, check our page for other delicious Nigerian food like masa, gizdodo etc. Above all, share and invite families and friends. cheers!