Hello Everyone, You are welcome to another day of sharing fun recipes on how to make custard powder. This article will teach you how to make custard powder from scratch from the comfort of your kitchen.
You must be wondering if it was actually possible to make custard at home because it is a food item which is mostly bought at the store. Making it at home will actually save you money, and also you can achieve the preferred taste you want for your custard.
Custard is one meal that is mostly loved by children because of its consistency and taste. Most Adults also like taking it because they see it as a light meal.
With all that been said, some people do not know what custard is because they did not grow up taking it.
WHAT IS CUSTARD POWDER?
Custard is a mix of different fine powdery substances such as thickeners, flavourings, milk powder and yellow colouring- the yellow colouring gives the custard colour. When the custard mix is heated or cooked it turns to a pudding mix.
It is available at all stores in the world. The best substitute for custard is Instant pudding mix. In Nigeria, people take custard as a breakfast meal with Moimoi, Akara, beans porridge or even any vegetable soup. It can also be enjoyed as a topping on cakes, cookies or biscuits.
Custard pudding is similar to our Nigerian pap and both are actually made out of corn, it is just custard is made out of processed corn starch.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO MAKE BEANS AND PLANTAIN PORRIDGE
- How to make Yamarita
- How to make Fried Rice
- How to make buns
- How to make peppered snail
- HOW TO MAKE PLANTAIN MOSA
- how to make ewa agoyin
- How to make Jollof spaghetti
- How to Make party Jollof Rice
- HOW TO MAKE COCONUT CANDY
- 100g of Dry milk powder
- 150g of Cornflour (cornstarch)
- 100g of Icing sugar
- 2 tsp. of Powdered yellow food colouring
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 2 tsp. of powdered vanilla flavour of vanilla pods
PROCESS OF MAKING CUSTARD
- Place the cornflour, milk powder, vanilla flavour, icing sugar and the yellow colouring into a blender or food processor and blend to combine for about 15 seconds.
- Pour the mix into an airtight container or jar and it can be stored for long just like the expiration date of your powdered milk and it will not lose flavour.
N.B- If you are using vanilla pods, cut it into pieces and place it in the container or jar you kept your custard powder mix. Keeping the vanilla pods in the custard jar will prevent it from losing flavour.
HOW TO PREPARE CUSTARD FOR BREAKFAST
- 3 Tbsps of custard powder
- sugar(If necessary)
- Evaporated milk
- Pour water into a kettle and heat up to bring the water to boil.
- While the water is boiling, pour the custard powder into a serving bowl and pour water to dissolve.
N. B– There is a great trick when making custard, most people make custard filled with lumps because of the way they make custard powder and water mixture. They make the mixture look like a paste just like when making our Akamu. In custard case, add enough till the mixture becomes watery but don’t make waterlogged.
- When the water is boiled, stir the custard mixture with a spoon before pouring in the boiled water.
- Start by pouring the water gradually and stop when you notice that the mixture as turned into a thickened and the whilst as faded.
- Your custard is ready, just add sugar if necessary and top it your evaporated milk.
- It is best enjoyed while hot.
VIDEO OF HOW TO MAKE CUSTARD :
I hope you enjoyed every bit of this article on how to make custard powder. Please don’t forget to like, comment and share this article with your loved ones. Y ou can also check our other article on how to make agidi, okpa and ojojo.