It’s another exciting time of learning how to prepare that meal you have been longing for!!!
This post is motivated by the numerous request we got from our loyal readers to publish a post on HOW TO MAKE EDIKAIKONG SOUP. We definitely can’t turn down such a request. So here you have it…
Edikang Ikong commonly shortened to edikaikong is a delicious soup that has its origin from the Efik Ibibio people of Cross River State and Akwa Ibom state in Nigeria. This soup is very nutritious and somewhat expensive to prepare like AFANG SOUP.
Edikaikong is quite popular in the southeastern part of Nigeria and it is loved by the young and old in that area. Other parts of Nigeria also eat this soup but its affluence is more with the Efik Ibibio people.
It is usually served in ceremonies like dedication, wedding, burial, coronation under the name “Vegetable soup” and can be enjoyed with fufu, eba, wheat, semo or even pounded yam!
Edikaikong soup must contain waterleaf, pumpkin leaf, beef, dried fish and palm oil, other ingredients can be added like ponmo, crayfish, periwinkle, and traditional spice.
This soup is good for all classes of people because of its high nutrient value.
Other Popular Nigerian Soups:
- HOW TO MAKE NSALA SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE EDIKAIKONG SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE OKAZI SOUP
- how to make bitter-leaf soup
- How to make Banga Soup
- HOW TO MAKE EWEDU SOUP
- How to make Oil-less Okro soup.
- How to make Fisherman soup
- How to make groundnut soup
- HOW TO MAKE GROUNDNUT SOUP
Here are some of the health benefits you get from eating this soup.
- One of the important ingredients in cooking this food, fluted pumpkin leaf, contains antioxidants that help to slow down aging.
- Pumpkin leaf is high in fiber content which helps to improve digestion,
- This leaf has been proven to be effective in preventing convulsion
- Pumpkin leaf is rich in iron and it helps to increase hemoglobin level in the blood
- This leaf lowers cholesterol level and increases fertility
- The beef and fish used in preparing this soup are good sources of protein
- Another important ingredient, waterleaf has been shown to improve brain activities and protect brain tissues
- Waterleaf is rich in vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin B, Niacin, Riboflavin, it also contains proteins, iron, copper, manganese and essential amino acid
- This leaf helps the body regulate diabetes and hypertension
- Researches and studies have proven that waterleaf can shrink tumors and inhibit the spread of cancer cells
- Waterleaf also helps in the treatment of inflammation, malaria, arthritis, and measles in children
- The ponmo, periwinkle and crayfish added to this soup also add nutrients to our body.
Now that we have seen what we stand to gain when we eat this soup, I hope we will be eager to try it at home. The tastiness of this soup cannot be overemphasized. Edikaikong soup is delicious.
Here is a list of ingredient to be used in making this soup
- 1kg of fluted pumpkin leaves popularly known as Ugu
- 500g Waterleaves
- 15-25 pieces of meat ( goat, lamb, cow meat)
- Dried fish( 3-5 pieces)
- 1 big stockfish
- 1 ½ cup of palm oil
- 4 tablespoon of grinded crayfish
- 4 habanero pepper
- 5-7 pieces of ponmo
- 1 cup of periwinkle( optional)
- Seasoning cubes
There are few things that need to be done before you set the pot on fire.
- Wash the leaves to be used thoroughly to remove sand and dirt
- Cut them separately using a sharp knife into tiny pieces and keep aside
- Wash the meat, ponmo, stockfish, and dry fish. keep them aside
- You can grind your pepper with the crayfish or you do it differently
You can now start cooking fully
- Place the meat into a pot, place on heat, add salt and seasoning to the meat
- Leave to boil for 10 minutes, then add half a cup of water and allow to cook until the meat is almost done.
- Check your meat, then add the stockfish, ponmo and dried fish into the pot.
- Leave to boil till the meat is cooked.
- Do not add another water into the pot !!!
- Then add the palm oil, crayfish and pepper, salt and seasoning cube into the cooking pot
- Leave to boil for 12 minutes
- Add the sliced waterleaf into the pot and stir and leave to cook for 4 minutes
- Add the periwinkle( optional)
- you can now add the Ugu leaves. stir and leave to simmer for 3 minutes
- Your delicious edikaikong soup is now ready to be served.
- This soup can be served with starch,eba, fufu, wheat, pounded yam
Video on how to make edikiakong soup
Now that you have learned HOW TO MAKE EDIKAIKONG SOUP, don’t fail to share our blog on your social media handles. Feel free to use the comment session to ask all your questions.