We will learn how to make ewa agoyin today. Did I catch you smiling, its such a wonderful meal because it has its own stew.
Ewa agoyin is a Yoruba name and when translated means Beans of Agoyin people. Despite the fact that this meal has a Nigerian name, it didn’t originate in Nigeria.
This meal came to Nigeria through the first-generation immigrant of Agoyin people of Benin republic. We believe this meal originates from the Togolese and Beninese regions. This food should not be confused with the popular Nigerian boiled beans or beans porridge because they are quite different.
Ewa agoyin is a popular street food commonly eaten in the Western part of Nigeria and other southern parts of Nigeria. The beans used are cooked until they are very soft and mashed. Other ingredients can also be added like palm oil, onion, and crayfish.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO MAKE OJOJO
- HOW TO MAKE NKWOBI
- How to make fried yam
- HOW TO MAKE BEANS AND PLANTAIN PORRIDGE
- How to make Ofada rice
- HOW TO MAKE AGIDI
- HOW TO MAKE YAM PORRIDGE
- How to make moi moi
- How to make peppered snail
- HOW TO MAKE GIZDODO
Here are some of the health benefit of this tasty meal
- Beans are very rich in protein, iron and complex carbohydrate.
- Beans also have a significant amount of soluble fiber and fiber. Soluble fiber has been shown to help lower blood cholesterol.
- Beans contain nutrients that help to protect against heart disease and other chronic disease
- It has a low Glycemic Index which makes it great for diabetic patients.
- Reduces absorption of LDL cholesterol by moving it out faster.
- Beans improve digestive health, prevent constipation, colon cancer, and other digestive problems.
- High in potassium which helps reduce blood pressure.
These are the ingredient that would be needed.
- 2 cups of beans
- onion ( optional)
- seasoning cube
- Pour your beans into a tray and pick the beans carefully
- Discard every unwanted material and impurities from the beans
- Soak the beans in cold water for 4 hours.
- This step is done to reduce the flatulence associated with eating beans
- Take out the beans, boil for 5 minutes and discard the water.
- The soaking and pre-cooking process will help reduce the issues associated with eating beans
- Chop the onion and set aside
- Pour the beans into a pot, add water to the level of the beans and apply heat.
- Add the chopped onion and salt and stir
- Cook the beans until tender or edible
- Check the beans texture by pressing in between your fingers
- If not fully cooked, add little water
- You can add the seasoning cube now ( optional)
- Mix well and check if the beans are very soft.
- Make sure the beans are very soft!!!
- You can now mash the beans
- Your ewa agoyin is now ready, it can be served with its stew, bread, fried plantain, fried yam, even fried potatoes!!