Todays article is on how to make the not so popular Fisherman soup. We hope to give you an alternative to the regular soups you have been eating.
Fisherman soup is one of the infamous soup in Nigeria but the case is different in Hungary where it originated. It is an important dish in the Hungarian cuisine so much that they made it a traditional dish for Christmas eve dinner in Hungary.
The soup is made with different kinds of fish and served with soup paste, it is a hot spicy food that is eaten with bread in Hungary.
In Nigeria, fisherman soup is popular among the riverine people and the Efik people. It is often mistaken with the popular Nigerian native soup, but they are not the same, because unlike the native soup, fisherman soup is made purely with seafood.
Fisherman soup is packed with a lot of nutrients that are beneficial to our body and it is very easy to prepare as the name implies, it is made with lots of seafood.
I bet you, before the end of this post on how to make fisherman soup, you will rush out to start preparing your own pot of goodness.
Other Popular Nigerian soups:
- How to make Eba
- How to Prepare Afang Soup
- HOW TO MAKE EDIKAIKONG SOUP
- How to make Fisherman soup
- HOW TO MAKE BITTER LEAF SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE ATAMA SOUP
- How to Make Egusi Soup
- How to make Banga Soup
- How to make stew
- HOW TO MAKE NIGERIAN OKRO SOUP
- Seafood is low on fats making it a good food choice if you want to lose weight.
- Omega-3 fatty acids that help keep the brain and heart healthy is present in a large proportion in fish and crab.
- Consuming fish regularly will also help promote hair growth and restore hair follicles.
- Fish and crab is filled with Omega-3 fatty acids which help to boost and improve our cardiovascular ( heart) health.
- Fresh fish also helps to retain moisture in the skin and is beneficial to the health of the human skin.
- Snails improve and boost the immune system via their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect on the body
- Crab and fish also contain selenium which is a powerful antioxidant.
- It helps lower the risk of strokes and cancer, lower blood pressure.
- Snails contains essential fatty acid like linoleic and linolenic acid, calcium, magnesium and iron.
- Also a good source of Vitamin A, B12, E and vitamin K.
- Crab is high in phosphorus which is good for the bones and teeth, also helps to detoxify the body
I hope you now see reasons with me, why you have to make fisherman soup as soon as possible!
- 5 piece of catfish
- Stockfish ( 3 pieces)
- 10 habanero pepper( blended roughly)
- 1 cup of fresh shrimp
- Snail ( 7 )
- 2 cups of periwinkles
- Clam (ngolo) 2 cups
- 5 pieces of crab
- Grinded crayfish ( 1 tablespoon)
- A handful of shredded uziza leaves
- Seasoning cubes
- 2 cooking spoon of palm oil
- Dried fish( optional)
- Ofor,achi or pounded cocoyam for thickening ( optional)
- An onion bulb
- Before we start to cook, it is important to note that fresh fish gets done quickly, so we will add it after all others have been added.
- Firstly, all the ingredient to be used should be cleaned; the snail, fish, crab, pepper, onion, ngolo and shrimps.
- In a clean pot, boil the stockfish,ngolo, snail and crab for 7 minutes, add seasoning with little water and set aside
- Also, steam the fresh fish after cleaning with 2 tablespoon of blended pepper and seasoning for 4 minutes.
- chop the onion and okro separately in big sizes
- Pour the palm oil into a cooking pot and apply heat, add the onion and the remaining blended pepper
- Furthermore, add the crab, stockfish, snail and ngolo into the cooking pot with their stock, stir and leave to boil for 3 minutes
- Then add the shrimps, periwinkle, dry fish and allow to boil for 3 minutes. Add water and seasoning after stirring the pot.
- If you want the soup to be thick, this is the right time to add the thickener.
- You can now add the steamed fish and blended crayfish, and stir lightly
- Add the Okro after 4 minutes and leave to boil together
- The uziza can be added after 3 minutes. Put off heat, cover the pot for 3 minutes before serving!
- Your delicious and nutritious fisherman soup is ready to be eaten with any choice of swallow like eba, pounded yam, fufu etc.
Video on how to make fisherman soup
We are confident that you have learned how to make fisherman soup. We would love to receive feedback and questions from you. Do not forget to invite families and friends, above all, continue to visit our page for other delicious Nigerian soups like ogbono soup, bitter leaf soup, gbegiri soup etc. Cheers!!!