The desire to learn how to make Fresh fish pepper soup has always been in my heart since I tasted it as a kid. we have other types of pepper soup like chicken pepper soup, goat meat pepper soup!
Fresh fish pepper soup is loved and enjoyed by people from the riverine area of Nigeria and even West Africa.
This soup as its name implies is cooked with fresh fish which can be tilapia, catfish, carp, barracuda, ladyfish, Red snapper, or Croaker.
Some people generalize fresh fish pepper soup to be point &kill only. But, not everyone likes catfish!!! we are happy to let you know that you can use any other fresh fish apart from the popular catfish!!!
Fresh fish pepper soup is very tasty and easy to prepare.
It can be eaten as an appetizer with a cold drink on a rainy day, as a soup with a swallow of choice, as stew with boiled rice or taken for medicinal purpose too. Yes, this soup is good for our health.
Other Popular Nigerian soup:
- HOW TO MAKE OFE OWERRI
- HOW TO MAKE DELICIOUS OFADA STEW
- HOW TO MAKE NSALA SOUP
- How to make Efo Riro
- HOW TO MAKE OWO SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE FRESH FISH PEPPER SOUP
- How to Make Egusi Soup
- How to make Eba
- How to make stew
- HOW TO MAKE EWEDU SOUP
Here are some health benefits of fresh fish pepper soup.
- Fresh fish is high in protein content and this can serve as an instant energy booster
- Fish can sufficiently supply the body with nutrients like vitamin B, vitamin D, potassium, magnesium, and manganese.
- Fish is low on fats making it a good food choice if you want to lose weight.
- Peppersoup is good for arousing appetite for food, it helps if you find it difficult to eat.
- Consuming fish regularly will also help promote hair growth and restore hair follicles.
- Fish is filled with Omega-3 fatty acids which help to boost and improve our cardiovascular ( heart) health.
- Pepper soup can act as a remedy for cold.
- Fresh fish pepper soup also helps to retain moisture in the skin, fish also contain selenium which is a powerful antioxidant.
You can get this meal at any restaurant, and bar or most preferably you can sit tight and learn how to make fresh fish pepper soup at home by yourself.
These are the ingredient that will be used in making this meal
- 2 medium-sized fresh fish( Tilapia or catfish)
- 5-7 pieces of scotch bonnet
- Ground pepper soup spice (negro pepper, alligator pepper, and calabash nutmeg)
- 2 teaspoons. Of cayenne pepper optional
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 handful of sliced scent leaves or uziza leaves
- 2 tsp. of ground crayfish
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 7 cups of water
- salt to taste
You can buy the pepper soup spice in the market or you can make yours at home. This is how to prepare it at home.
you will need
- 1 tablespoon of alligator pepper (Ulima/Atariko)
- 9 pieces of Calabash nutmeg
- 7 pieces of Negro pepper (Uda seeds)
Roast your calabash nutmeg in a frying pan till it starts turning dark brown and you can perceive the aroma. Remove from heat and gradually peel off the outer skin and bring out the seed inside.
At this moment, put the Calabash nutmeg, Negro pepper (Uda seeds) and Alligator pepper in a blender, and grind till you get a fine powder.
Your pepper soup spice is ready to be used!!!
We can now start preparing the fresh fish pepper soup
- Cut the fishes and wash thoroughly, remove scales and put in a bowl
- Then pour hot water on the fish, and wash to further clean off the slimy layer on the fish
- Pound or blend the pepper, chop the onion.
- Slice the leave to be used, either scent leaf or utiza leaf
- Now place the fish into the cooking pot, add onions, pepper soup spice, pepper, crayfish, salt, and seasoning cubes into the fish.
- Add 2 cups of water and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- You can now add the sliced leaves
- Allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat. we are done cooking
- your pepper soup is ready for munching!!
Video on how to make fresh fish pepper soup
We are fully confident that you have learnt how to make Fresh fish pepper soup. We would love you to drop feedback, view our other articles on how to make other Popular Nigeria soup and also invite friends too!!!