Welcome to ChowHub. Today i will like you guys to learn with me how to make Fried rice. Fried rice is one of the delicious and healthy forms of cooking rice. It is the most popular forms of rice that cuts across most of the continent.It is a dish which consists of cooked white rice that is stir-fried in a pot or a frying pan and is usually mixed with ingredients like vegetables ,meat, sausage, seafood, eggs etc.
It is mostly eaten by the Southeast Asian, East Asian and some South Asian cuisines. When prepared as a homemade dish, I is classically made with ingredients gotten from left over from different dishes at home, which leads to numerous variations of the dish.
It’s exact can’t be found but is believed according to some studies that it was created during Sui dynasty in (A.D. 589- 618), in a city called Yangzhou in the eastern Jiangsu province. Ever since, many popular varieties of it have been formulated and have their own exact list of ingredients.
In Asia, the most renowned varieties include Yangzhou and Fujian fried rice where the rap meat of fisherman is used to season it. In other places, most restaurants cooking for vegetarians or Muslims clientele have created their own different versions of fried rice which includes and the Indonesian spicy ones.
Today, these popular grain dish are found throughout China, particularly in the south, where rice is the staple grain. It is a very popular staple in American Chinese cuisine; it is especially sold in fast food.
The most popular way of preparing American Chinese fried rice is by adding some combinations of eggs, vegetables, beans, chopped meat (this is been added by the discretion of the customer) and it is normally seasoned with soy sauce instead of using table salt.
It became popular in African countries such as Nigeria, Togo, Ghana etc. in the mid 80’s and it is served at restaurants and also as a street food. In Nigeria, it is a very popular food; it is served in parties or even in restaurants along side with jollof rice.
The Nigerian version is usually not prepared with eggs but you can add a twist to your own version. It is one meal that doesn’t have one way or form of preparing it.
Most people just consume this rice without knowing it has a lot of health benefits. Let’s check out the health benefits of rice you never knew existed and after this, that will give us enough good reasons to prepare it.
Health Benefits of Fried Rice
The presence of vitamin B2 in it is good and used for red blood cell production.
- It contains some nutrients which helps the liver to flush out toxins from our body and
- It also contains vitamin B6 which helps to lower the level of homocysteine which causes cardiac arrest.
- It contains vitaminB2 which gives us a healthy skin.
- The presence of vitamin A helps to make our eyes healthy and good.
- It is a good for muscle formation. If you are engaging in a program to build your muscles, fried rice is one of the foods that will recommended for you to eat. This is because the food has high protein compound.
- The presence of vegetable fiber ihelps our digestion and keeps cholesterol and heart disease under control.
Before you can cook your It there are some basic principles or things you must know in order to get perfect fried rice:
- The key to creating very good rice is by making use of rice that has been cooked beforehand. Older rice is usually dryer, which reduces your probabilities of ending up with a meal that is wet and soggy. Using day old rice is good but using rice that is two or three days old is the best. If using old rice, make sure use rub the rice in between your palms to remove any form of clumps before cooking.
- You can use long grain white rice to prepare it but basmati rice is the best.
- One of the great secret of making delicious rice is that the ingredients (rice and vegetables) must be cooked separately, this helps them maintain their different flavors and they are later combined together at the final stages of cooking.
- Season your broth or you can use beef or chicken stock; water is not the best to use.
- Make sure you don’t overcook your meal, so that you don’t end up having a messy food.
- It is best to season your chopped vegetables and leave to rest. This adds more flavour to your dish.
- In order to get nice and crispy dish, you have to need turn up the heat of your burner during the process of frying and continue to stir as you allow your rice to cook.
- Don’t overpower your dish with curry powder if you want a greenish/yellow colour for your rice
These above suggestions will make have a greatmeal
How to prepare Fried rice step by step
Here are the complete Ingredients
3 cups of previously cooked rice
4 medium-sized carrots
1 large green pepper
2 bulbs of spring onions
1 large white onion
1tsp. of minced ginger
1 tsp. of minced garlic
1 handful of fresh green peas
1 handful of sweet corn
½ cup of beef liver (chopped into cubed sizes)
½ cup of vegetable oil
2 seasoning cubes
A dash of turmeric or curry powder
½ tsp. of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Before you start cooking, wash your vegetables, peel your carrots; then your carrots and cut into cubes, chop the remaining vegetables, season them and set aside
- Boil your fresh green peas with salt and boil for 10-15 minutes
- In a pot add your stock; add you’re seasoning cubes, salt, curry powder or turmeric, cayenne pepper. Cook till the rice is done
N.B: Make sure your rice is not too soft or soggy (the grains should not stick together)
- In a pan, heat up your vegetable oil; chopped onion, minced garlic and ginger stir and fry for few seconds then add in seasoned veggies which you have set aside then add in your sweet corn, green peas and fry for few minutes.
- Pour your rice into batches into the fried veggies and stir fry till you have finally fried all your rice.
- Your delicious fried rice is ready. You can enjoy with fried chicken or turkey.