Today’s article is on how to make fried yam. We will be deliberating on how to fry yams like a professional.
Yam is a popular staple food in Nigeria. It is a tuber crop. It is eaten and enjoyed in many homes. we have different species of yam like water yam, puna yam, purple yam, It can be prepared as boiled yam, porridge yam, fried yam, or pounded yam, etc
Fried yam is a popular street food in Nigeria, it is sold mostly in the evenings till nightfall and it is eaten with fried stew and fried fish.
We are happy to inform you that, you can actually prepare this food at home instead of wasting time to wait in a queue for close to 1 hour. And you will be sure of the hygiene of the food too.
This combo is loved by children, pregnant women, adults, and picky eaters. Fried yam can also be eaten as a snack that you can just munch on at any time of the day.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO MAKE MASA
- How to make Efo Riro
- How to make fried yam
- How to make sausage rolls
- How to make coconut fried rice
- How to make Kokoro
- How to make Eba
- How to make Shawarma
- HOW TO MAKE AGIDI
- HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD
- An excellent source of fiber which aids digestion and bowel movement
- A good source of energy. An energy-giving food
- Has folate that is needed in the nervous system
- Possess antioxidant properties
- Also helps to boost the immune system
- Reduce the risk of heart disease
- Provides the body with Vitamins like Vitamin C, Vitamin B5, Thiamine
- Contains potassium, copper, manganese, and magnesium
- 1 tuber of yam
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil ( A generous amount that would be enough to fry the yam)
- First of all, peel the yam, cut into smaller size and wash to remove dirt and sands
- Soak the yam in a bowl with water and add salt to it.
- After 10minutes, reduce the water in the yam, to about 5 -8 tablespoon. keep aside
- Also, do not use the head or tail of yam for frying, they are not sweet to the taste buds
- Set the frying pan on fire, pour the vegetable oil and leave on medium heat until the oil is hot
- You can add the yam with the water. make sure to soak the yam in batches, add them into the pan in batches of 6 – 8 yams
- The above step is done so that the yams can have space to fry well and you can stir and turn them occasionally too
- Water is added with the yam so that the yam can get cooked before frying, and so that you won’t have a fried yam that is cooked outside but raw inside!!!!
- Fry the yam on medium heat until it is slightly browned, occasionally turn the yam around so all sides can get fried.
- When you have gotten your desired color, take the yams out and place them in a colander or paper towel
- Repeat the frying process until all the yam is fried.
- Finally, your fried yam is ready to be served.
- Your fried yam can be served with fried plantain and stew, fried egg, sauce or it can be eaten as a snack.
Video on how to make fried yam
Above all, we know you can now make fried yam like a pro. We would like to read from you, please do not forget to drop feedbacks, invite friends and families. Also, check our blog for other poplar Nigerian food like Jollof spaghetti, Ukwa, Ikokore. Cheers!!!