Today, I will be taking through on how to make garden egg sauce, a typical Nigerian dish. I hope you will love this dish after our discussion.
This is a local Nigerian dish prepared with fresh garden egg used as the main ingredient.
This sauce comes in two variants, you can prepare the bitter variant which requires you to make use of green type while you need the white garden egg to make the sweet sauce.
Any garden egg you eventually choose to use, you will still get a nutritious sauce. But I will advise you to you the garden egg to get a very delicious taste.
Some people mistake eggplant for a garden egg, though they may look alike they are totally different. But you can actually prepare eggplant sauce like this delicious sauce.
This delicious sauce is best enjoyed with unripe plantain, yam and some people eat with rice( though I have not tried it before)
The sauce is best made with palm oil and locust bean. The red oil gives the soup color and the locust bean gives it a distinctive native flavor.
Some people make garden egg sauce with groundnut oil, and it also tastes good.
Other Popular Nigerian soups:
- HOW TO MAKE EWEDU SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE OKAZI SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE BLACK SOUP
- How to make Oha Soup
- How to make goat meat pepper soup
- How to make Efo Riro
- How to make Ewa Agoyin stew
- HOW TO MAKE ATAMA SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE GARDEN EGG SAUCE
- How to make pepper soup
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GARDEN EGG
- Garden egg improves heart health and also helps in the reduction of weight very successful.
- It is a good anti-cancer vegetable that has been helping people for decades.
- Good for treating anemic patients by serving as a blood tonic.
- Doctors mostly recommended for pregnant women because of the availability of vitamins and minerals in it.
- Garden egg can be used in the treatment of stomach ulcers.
- It relieves stress and also controls high blood pressure.
- It contains micronutrient which helps in improving the blood level.
- 1kg of white garden egg
- 5 plum tomatoes
- 1 large white onion
- ¼ cup of palm oil
- 2 tbsp of locust bean
- 3 pieces of scotch bonnet (chopped)
- 500g of smoked mackerel ( de-boned)
- 1 chicken seasoning cube
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of grounded crayfish
- powdered chili pepper (optional)
- To prepare the garden egg, remove the stem and rinse. Place the garden eggs into a pot, add little salt and boil for about 10- 15 minutes.
- While the garden eggs are boiling, flake the fish, slice the onions and dice the tomatoes.
- Once the garden egg is tender sieve them and mash it a fork or a wooden turning stick. The consistency should be like that of crushed tomatoes.
- In a saucepan, pour in the palm oil and heat up for about 2-3 minutes(make sure you don’t overheat the palm oil), saute the onions gently, add the locust bean fry, then add the scotch bonnet, fry till it is softened and starts turning into brown.
- Add in your tomatoes, and cook on medium heat for about 15- 20 minutes or until you see that the sauce starts to thicken.
- Por in the smashed garden egg and keep cooking on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the deboned smoked mackerel, grounded crayfish, seasoning cube and continue to cook on low heat.
- At this junction, taste the sauce, adjust for salt if necessary.
- If you need more heat in the sauce, you can add the powdered chili pepper.
- Your delicious sauce is ready.
- It can be served with boiled yam, boiled plantain or any other carbohydrate of your choice.
VIDEO OF HOW TO MAKE GARDEN EGG SAUCE:
I hope this article on how to make garden egg sauce has been helpful, don’t forget to like, comment and share this article. You can also check our other articles on how to make stew, ofada stew, and ewa agoyin stew.