The memories of eating and learning how to make goat meat pepper soup from my dad is one that is worth remembering.
Goat meat pepper soup also called Ngwo-Ngwo is very tasty and peculiar to no tribe at all. It is eaten and enjoyed by all tribes in Nigeria. We can say, it is the most popular of all the pepper soup in Nigeria.
Just like how fresh fish pepper soup is prepared with fresh fish, so also goat meat pepper soup is made with goat meat. Goat meat is a popular red meat that is consumed worldwide and very nutritious for the body
Goat meat pepper soup is eaten with yam, unripe plantain, rice or eba. It can also be taken as an appetizer with a cold drink, or for medicinal purposes. It should be served hot.
Other Popular Nigerian soup:
- How to make groundnut soup
- HOW TO MAKE GARDEN EGG SAUCE
- How to make Ogbono Soup
- HOW TO MAKE BITTER LEAF SOUP
- How to make Banga Soup
- How to make Eba
- How to Make Egusi Soup
- How to make pepper soup
- How to make Efo Riro
- HOW TO MAKE ATAMA SOUP
Here are some health benefits of goat meat pepper soup.
- Calcium that is present in goat meat is good for the bones
- Goatmeat contains vitamin B, omega -3 fatty acid, selenium, chlorine
- Peppersoup is good for arousing appetite for food, it helps if you find it difficult to eat
- Since goatmeat is a red meat, it can serve as a rich source of dietary iron that is essential to avoid iron deficiency anemia
- Goat meat contain quality protein which is very good for the body
- This meat is low in saturated fats and cholesterol making it good for the health of the heart
- Pepper soup can act as a remedy for cough, cold and provide warmth.
- The low-calorie content of goatmeat makes it beneficial for weight regulation.
- 15 – 20 piece of goat meat( any part of the goat can be used)
- 5-7 pieces of scotch bonnet
- Ground pepper soup spice (negro pepper, alligator pepper, and calabash nutmeg)
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper optional
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 handful of sliced scent leaves or uziza leaves
- 2 teaspoon of grinded crayfish
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 7 cups of water
- salt to taste
One of the essential ingredients in making pepper soup is the pepper soup spice, you can buy or you can make yours following these guidelines.
The following ingredient will be needed
- 1 tablespoon of alligator pepper (Ulima/Atariko)
- 9 pieces of Calabash nutmeg
- 7 pieces of Negro pepper (Uda seeds)
Roast your calabash nutmeg in a frying pan till it starts turning dark brown and you can perceive the aroma. Remove from heat and gradually peel off the outer skin and bring out the seed inside.
At this moment, put the Calabash nutmeg, Negro pepper (Uda seeds) and Alligator pepper in a blender, and grind till you get a fine powder.
The pepper soup spice is ready to be used!!!
You can now proceed to the next step
- Pound or blend the pepper, chop the onion.
- Wash and Slice the leaf to be used, either scent leaf or utiza leaf
- wash the meat thoroughly to remove sands and dirt, place in a pot.
- Add onion, seasoning cube, salt, and a little blended pepper into the meat, allow to boil for 6 minutes.
- You can now add the pepper soup spice, grinded crayfish, remaining blended pepper, seasoning cubes, and salt to taste.
- Then add water enough to cover the meat and leave to boil for 30 minutes.
- Add the sliced vegetables, stir and taste.
- Re-season if there is a need for that!
- Leave to boil for 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat!!!
- Your tasty goat meat pepper soup is ready to be served!!!
video on how to make goat meat pepper soup
We are happy that you have learnt how to make goat meat pepper soup, we welcome you to check other popular Nigerian soups on the blog like the chicken pepper soup, Afang soup, Okro soup, etc drop feedback and invite friends…