You are welcome to today’s recipe sharing where we will be talking about how to make groundnut soup. I can assure that at the end of this article, you will definitely include this soup in your kitchen menu.
Groundnut soup which is also known as peanut soup is a popular soup that originates from the Northern region of Nigeria, it is also common in the southern region especially in Edo state.
It is popular among the people of Etsako and it is called ‘Omisagwe’ over there, it is known as miyar gyada by the people of the North. This soup is also eaten by other West African countries like Ghana where it is known as Nkate nkwan.
This soup is a delicious, savoury and spicy. It can be eaten for lunch or dinner and it is best enjoyed with our Nigerian swallows like eba, semo, fufu and it can be eaten with rice.
You can make this dish anytime because it is easy to prepare. It is best prepared with stockfish, smoked fish and assorted meat but in the absence of these ingredients, you can use any meat or protein of your choice.
Another thing about this soup is that you can either prepare plain or you can add any vegetable of your choice. You can use leaves like scent leaves, bitter leaves, uziza or spinach.
Other Popular Nigerian soup:
- How to make chicken pepper soup
- HOW TO MAKE EWEDU SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE OKAZI SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE BLACK SOUP
- How to make Oha Soup
- HOW TO MAKE GROUNDNUT SOUP
- How to make groundnut soup
- How to make Banga Soup
- How to make Eba
- How to make Ewa Agoyin stew
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GROUNDNUT SOUP
- It helps to boosts memory Vitamin B3 can be found in peanuts which major health benefits is to help the brain function well and boost the memory power.
- To effect of groundnut on man- It provides natural manpower which makes a man have enough stamina to last on the bed when having sexual intercourse
- It helps to prevent gallstones. According to studies done for over 20 years it is shown that eating 1 ounce of peanuts or peanut butter a week reduces the risk of having gallstones by up to 25%.
- It lowers the risk of Obesity. Eating peanuts regularly helps to reduce the risk of gaining weight. Based on some researches done, it is shown that people who eat groundnuts at least twice a week as a lower tendency of gaining weight than those who don’t eat it at all.
- It reduces the risk of having heart diseases. When peanuts are eaten regularly, it reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases just because peanuts are rich in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants. It is advised to take peanuts four times a week to reduce coronary heart diseases.
- Groundnut helps to repair tissues. It contains a very good quantity of phosphorus which is necessary for the human body to produce proteins necessary for the growth, body maintenance and the repairs of the cells and tissue. The protein in peanut serves as a good building block for the tissues, blood, cells and bones.
300g of raw groundnut
A handful of bitter leaves or spinach ( chopped)
½ bunch of Scent leaves
Salt to taste
1 Seasoning cube
½ tsp. of ground Uda (You can easily get this at the local market)
1/4 cup of cooking palm oil
1 tbsp. of grounded crayfish
700g-1kg beef/assorted meat
2 medium-sized onion
3-5 scotch bonnet (blended)
- Put a pot on medium heat, add in the washed assorted meat, chopped onions, seasoning and salt to taste. Bring the meat to boil till becomes tender.
- Add the stockfish towards the end of boiling the meat(This will infuse flavour into the stock)
- Place a frying pan on medium heat, toast the groundnut for about 10-15minutes.
- Allow the groundnut to cool for some minutes then pour it into either a dry mill blender or food processor( you can blend it crayfish into powdery form).
- To the boiled assorted meat, add in the blended pepper and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the palm oil to the boiling pepper and cook till it is well combined( boil for about 10 minutes).
- At this junction, add the powdered uda. Add in the blended groundnut to the mixture, you can add water if the mixture is too thick.
- Add the grounded crayfish and continue to cook for about about 10-15 minutes(make sure you stir in between)then add inyour seasoning and salt, put in more water if need be.
- Rinse the washed vegetable and add to the soup, don’t cook the mixture for more than 5 minutes so that you can retain the freshness.
- Your delicious groundnut soupis ready. You can enjoy with any swallow of your choice.