Today we will learn how to make Jollof spaghetti.
spaghetti is a thin, cylindrical, long pasta. It is made of wheat, water and is usually enriched with minerals and vitamins.
Spaghetti is the plural form of spaghetto which is an Italian word that can be said to mean ‘twine’ or ‘thin string’
This pasta gained popularity in the 19th century via the establishment of spaghetti factories throughout Italy.
spaghetti is an important part of Italian cuisine
It is also eaten in the united states where it is often served with chili con carne.
Filipino spaghetti is also popular in the Philipines.
Thai cuisine also has spaghetti present.
We have various patterns of cooking spaghetti worldwide, we have spaghetti with meatballs, spaghetti alla nerano, spaghetti Bolognese, etc.
In Nigeria, spaghetti is seen as a food for children and maybe an appetizer for adult pending when the main meal is ready. It is sometimes cooked as an alternative for children when noodles are not available.
This pasta is loved by children and adults because it is so fast and easy to prepare. Spaghetti can be boiled and eaten with stew or it can be prepared in the popular way which is the Jollof spaghetti.
Jollof spaghetti is popular in Nigeria, I think it got this name from the popular Nigerian jollof rice and it is often served in ceremonies like dedication, weddings, anniversary. It is also sold in popular restaurants around.
Other Popular Nigerian Food:
- HOW TO MAKE EKURU
- How to make semovita
- HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SWALLOW
- HOW TO MAKE ISI EWU
- HOW TO MAKE BEANS AND PLANTAIN PORRIDGE
- How to make Efo Riro
- How to grill fish
- How to make poundo yam
- HOW TO MAKE OKPA
- Nigerian food menu
Here are some health benefit of Jollof spaghetti
- Spaghetti is high in carbohydrate content which makes it an excellent source of energy
- This meal is rich in dietary fiber which is good for easy digestion, bowel movement and weight management
- This meal provides the body with vitamin B, iron, selenium and magnesium
- One of the ingredients used in making Jollof spaghetti which is tomato provides the body with vitamin K, C, A, and E
- Tomatoes contain lycopene which can help the body fight chronic diseases.
- It also provides the body with nutrients like selenium which promotes blood circulation, and copper which is good for the nervous system.
- If you cook your Jollof spaghetti following our guidelines, you are sure to have a balanced meal. The vegetables supply the body with numerous essential nutrients, the chicken also provides protein which is important for body and cell building.
Here is a list of ingredients that will be needed in order for you to have a balanced meal.
- 1 pack of spaghetti
- 6 big fresh tomatoes
- 4 scotch bonnet( atarodo)
- 3 red bell peppers
- 5-6 pieces of boneless chicken, beef or shrimp
- 1 yellow and green bell pepper
- 2 medium-sized carrot
- 1 handful of green beans
- 2 tablespoons of sweetcorn
- 1 cup of beef or chicken stock
- half cup of vegetable oil
- onion( 3 medium balls)
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 2 tablespoon of grinded crayfish
- 1 teaspoon of powdered curry, thyme, and nutmeg
Things to note before we proceed
- Most of the ingredient listed above is optional, like the vegetables, you can leave it out if you don’t want to add it.
- For the sake of this post, I will be using chicken, but you can use beef, shrimp, fish, any choice of protein will do.
- If you don’t have any stock at hand, you can use water.
- All vegetables to be used should be washed
- Wash and chop the chicken into small bits and marinate with 1 seasoning cube and salt. set aside.
- Chop 2 onion, carrots, yellow, red, and green bell pepper and set aside.
- Blend the tomatoes, scotch bonnet( atarodo) and 1 onion together until you get a fine paste
- Set a pot on fire, add water that will be enough to cook the spaghetti, leave to boil. then add the pasta
- Allow to cook till tender
- When its tender, transfer the pasta into a sieve or colander to drain and set aside.
- This process is done to remove excess starch and to make it nonsticky
- Pour 1 cooking spoon of oil into a cooking pot and allow to get hot, add some chopped onion, leave for 3 minutes then add the blended tomatoes and pepper paste. add curry powder, thyme, 2 seasoning cubes, and salt to taste. fry till dried
- While the stew is frying, get a saucepan and pour 3 tablespoons of cooking oil, allow to get hot then add the remaining chopped onion, saute till translucent, then add the chicken, fry till it is fully cooked.
- Into the saucepan, add the sliced carrots, peppers and spring onion, green beans and sweet corn. leave to fry for 6 minutes and set aside.
- Check the stew if the oil is now floating at the top, then add your stock or water. allow to boil
- Add the spaghetti into the stew, add the grinded crayfish, stir thoroughly. then add the fried chicken and vegetables. mix vigorously.
- Leave to cook together for 5 minutes.
- Put off heat
- Your tasty Jollof spaghetti is ready to be served
Video on how to make Jollof spaghetti
Now that you have learned how to make Jollof spaghetti, do well to check the blog for other popular Nigerian food, do not forget to drop comments, and invite friends. cheers!!