WELCOME Everyone to another time of learning
we hope your week has been foodful?
We will be learning how to bake our own Nigerian meat pie!!!
Meat pies are popular in the United kingdom,Canada,Zimbabwe, south Africa,Australia, Europe and Nigeria. This snack has its origin dated as far back as around 9500 BC.
Ancient Egyptians ate basic pies made with oats,wheat,barley and filled honey and baked .
The ancient Greeks also used a flour-water paste and filled it with meat, these pies were either fried or cooked under coals
We have regional variations of meat pies like the
- Latin American ” Emanadas”
- British meat pies
- Middle Eastern meat pies are called Sfiha which contain plain yogurt, tomatoes and pine nuts
- Greek meat pies are called Kreatopita which contains feta cheese
- Indian meat meat pies are called Samosa and are often served with chutney.
- Irish meat pie is served with potato chips and vegetables
Meat pie is a popular snack eaten in most part of Nigeria. It can be eaten at anytime of the day. They are usually served at festive gatherings
Meat pies are very rich pasties, when eaten they supply the body with protein,carbohydrate, vitamin A and other important nutrient.
Making your meat pie is not such a rigorous process, it just demands your commitment..
we are here to guide you on how to make it yourself
Making a meat pie involves three steps which are
- Preparing the filling
- Preparing the dough
- Baking the meat pie
For you to have a tasty meat pie, these are the ingredients to be used.
- 9 cups of flour
- 0.5 kg of margarine
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 pinches of salt
- 2 cups of water
- 3 big carrot
- 2 medium sized Irish potato
- 1 onion
- 0.5 kg meat
- 3 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 piece of seasoning cubes
- 1 teaspoon of curry,1 teaspoon of thyme
- 2 raw eggs
We will first prepare the dough, then the filling before baking or we can prepare the two at the same time.
- Pour 8 cups of flour into a big bowl, add 2 pinches of salt and 2 teaspoon of baking powder
- Mix together
- Cut your margarine into small bits and add the pieces into the flour
- Mix thoroughly until the mixture becomes like crumbs
- Gradually add a little water ( cold water)
- Mix together, knead until you make a dough that is stiff and perfect
- Leave for 8 minutes
- Break the eggs in a small bowl, whisk them and keep aside
- Now we will prepare the filling
- Wash and mince(grind) meat
- Wash and chop onion,carrot and potatoes and keep aside
- Pour the vegetable oil into a pot and apply heat
- Add onions,stir, then add the meat. fry till the meat changes colour
- Now add 1 cup of water, add seasoning cubes, curry,thyme and leave to boil
- When you notice it has started boiling, add chopped carrot and potatoes. leave the pot to cook for sometime
- In a cup, add 2 tablespoons of flour to half cup of water, stir till it is dissolved, then pour into the pot on fire
- Stir the resulting mixture very well, take the pot down and leave to cool
- The flour and water mix helps to bind the filings and also retain the moisture of the filling
- Now you can set your oven to 335 °F and leave to preheat
- Grease the insides of the oven tray or pan to be used in baking with margarine, and keep aside
- Place the dough on a flat surface, knead it, roll it out, it shouldn’t be too thick or light
- Use a cutter i.e a small bowl or a meat pie cutter to make round cuts on the dough
- Excess dough should be removed and kept aside
- Now add some meat pie filling into the center of the dough. dont overfill the dough
- Rub the egg on the edges of the dough you are working on
- Carefully close the dough and seal with a fork
- Repeat the process of filling and closing till you are done with all the dough and filling
- Place each of the dough + fillings into the egg. this is to give the meat pie a unique brown color. this step is optional
- Now place your meat pie into the oven tray or pan that has been prepared
- Place the tray inside the oven and bake for 30 minutes or more. the time of baking depends on your oven
- The meatpie is cooked when the colour of the dough changes to light brown
- When you notice the colour of the dough has changed completely. turn off heat and allow to cool
- Your Nigerian meat pie is ready
- This yummy pastry can be served with chilled drinks