I tasted Ofada rice for the first time, at a friend’s birthday party. Instantly, I knew I neeed to learn it and teach our readers. So here you have it: how to make ofada rice. I am sure you will love it.
Meanwhile, you should check our blog for how to make ofada stew. We have a dedicated post for that.
Rice is a major staple food in Nigeria just like garri and yam. It is consumed in almost every home that can afford it in Nigeria.
Ofada rice is one of the nutritious rice produced in Nigeria It is quite popular in the country and is enjoyed and eaten more by people in the western part of the country. It is a robust, short brown rice cultivated mostly in Ogun state and a few other states in the western part of Nigeria.
This rice was named Ofada after the town where it was first cultivated in Ogun state, Nigeria. It is mostly eaten with its personal stew!!!
Ofada Rice is unpolished and has a unique aroma, it is very nutritious than the foreign parboiled rice.
Most people do not eat this rice because of sands and stones that are found in some versions of the rice. However, if you are someone who is interested in the health benefit of food you eat, you might want start eating this rice because it is packed with so many natural minerals and vitamins.
Ofada rice is usually served in ceremonies like naming ceremony, dedication, wedding, burial, it is traditionally served with Uma leaves ( plantain or banana Leaves) with its sauce.
Other Popular Nigerian Food:
- How to make omelet
- How to make soya bean cake( Wara)
- How to make coconut fried rice
- How To Make Ugba
- HOW TO MAKE OGI
- HOW TO MAKE MASA
- How to make poundo yam
- How to make spring rolls
- How to make buns
- How to grill fish
here are some of the health benefit of this tasty rice
- High in fiber content which is good for digestion and good bowel movement
- Rich in selenium and manganese, selenium plays an active role in the prevention of colon cancer while Maganese helps to keep our bones strong and healthy
- Supplies your body with Vitamin B1, vitamin B3, vitamin B6, iron, phosphorus more than the foreign rice
- This rice has been said to have the ability to heal candida yeast infection due to its fiber content
- Can serve as baby food, this is because of the natural nutrients found in this rice, it makes it a good choice for your growing toddler
- An excellent grain choice for people with gluten allergy
- Provides the body with magnesium which helps reduce blood pressure and risk of stroke and heart attack
- The presence of Vitamin C, A, and E in this rice also helps to boost the immunity of the body to certain disease
- This rice contains antioxidants that fight and neutralize free radicals
- There are have been some reports that eating this rice helps to prevent breast cancer
I believe you will agree with me that indeed this rice is way more nutritious than the foreign rice, you can get this rice in a restaurant or you can follow through as I teach you how to make ofada rice.
- 2 cups of ofada rice
- Pour the rice in a tray and carefully pick the stones and dirt in the rice
- Transfer the rice into a bowl and wash it until the water that comes from it is no longer dirty
- Add 3 cups of water into your cooking pot and allow to boil,
- Then add the rice and leave to boil for 7 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and rinse the rice with enough water to reduce starch
- Add 1 cup of water into the cooking pot, add salt to taste, allow to boil and add the rice.
- Cook till the rice is soft
- It is very important to check the rice as it is cooking to prevent sogginess
- When it gets soft, if there is still water, just transfer the rice into a sieve or colander to drain the excess water and return into the pot
- Your delicious ofada rice is ready to be served. It can be eaten with the delicious Ofada stew or any other type of sauce
Video on How to make Ofada Rice
We are happy you learnt how to make ofada Rice, do not forget to drop comments, invite friends and family and also check our blog for other Popular Nigerian food. Cheers!!