Today I will cook one of Nigeria’s favorite soup. In this how to cook Ogbono soup guide, you will learn the best approach to cook delicious and tasty Ogbono Soup.
Before i proceed i have explained in the past how to cook a number of Nigerian soups like Efo riro, Afang soup, banga soup, Egusi soup and the likes. I will like you to check them out and revert back to me in the comment section.
Ogbono soup is a very popular soup in the South east, South west, South-south and Middle belt of Nigeria. It is known as Ogbono by the Igbos and south-south but the Yorubas call it Apon. The English name is Bush mango, the botanical name is Irvingia gabonensis . It is a Nigerian soup made with ogbono dry seeds.
Its fruit is a big drupe with tender flesh. A proteineous rich seed is found inside the fruit, which is then sun dried for preservation. The seeds can be sold whole or in powdery form.The Ogbono seed is dried and then grinded with crayfish so as to make make Ogbono soup powder.
This is one of the fastest and easiest Nigerian soups to prepare. The ground ogbono seeds are usually used as a thickener, and it gives the soup a brown coloration.
The soup major ingredients are ground ogbono seeds, pepper, palm oil, the best protein to use is meat of any kind, some people add vegetables such as: Ugwu(fluted pumpkin), Uziza leaf, bitter leaf etc. The usual meats include beef, goat, chicken, bush meat etc.
The ogbono soup is similar to okro soup because both are draw soup. Ogbono soup being a slippery soup in nature helps swallow food slide down the throat to the stomach for digestion easily. Studies has shown that Ogbono seeds are rich in up to 18 amino acids, vitamins, magnesium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, phosphorus and also iron.
There are so many health benefits of Ogbono soup in which people who consume the soup are not even aware of. Ogbono soup has a lot nutritional value which include:
- It helps to reduce the cholesterol level in the body. The content in Ogobono seeds helps it to induce weight loss. It also helps to control diabetes.
- It helps to aid weight loss or weight control. Ogbono soup increases the level of a hormone called leptin in the body which helps reduce appetite.
- The soup can help you boost your mood. Studies has shown that ogbono seeds helps to boost someone’s mood because of the presence of tryptophan in its seed.
- The seeds are a very good source of protein. Since the human body cannot produce protein on its own we need to get it from different foods we eat. Ogbono is highly rich in protein than many other seeds such as kharbuja seed, sunflower seeds, sesame seed etc. The protein content helps in bodybuilding which is good for pregnant women for their unborn baby.
- The seed is very low in sugar helps to reduce the risk of having diabetes. For those who people who have sweet tooth, you can try taking ogbono soup in order to reduce the risk of diabetes.
- It helps prevent the risk of having obesity. Based on research, it has been proven that ogbono seeds contain less carbs and fat.
- The soup digests easily which helps to prevent constipation and bloating during pregnancy.
Some people eat their ogbono soup with okro or egusi. The soup can eaten with any swallow of your choice such as eba, pounded yam, fufu, semolina etc.
- ½ cup of ground Ogbono powder
- Assorted meats (cut into small piece)
- Any vegetable of your choice(ugwu, bitter leaf, uziza etc.)
- 2-3 Cooking spoonful Palm Oil
- 2 tbsp of grounded crayfish
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 seasoning cubes
- Blend scotch bonnet or dry pepper
- Salt to taste
- Wash, add your seasoning cube and cook the assorted meat, stock fish, ponmo with onions, and salt to taste. Cook until very tender.
- Slice your vegetables (I prefer using uziza because it has a very nice scent), blend your pepper (if you are using scotch bonnet) and set aside.
- When you meat is ready, add your blended pepper or dry pepper .Allow to boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add your palm oil into the boiling meat and pepper and allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add your sliced vegetables, gounded crayfish and boil for about 2minutes, then add your ogbono powder, mix very well with your spoon in order to break any lumps formed.
- Mix the soup well, do not cover and leave it to simmer for about 10 minutes, make sure you check on it and stir the ogbono soup constantly to prevent it from burning.
- You can add little water if you find your ogbono too thick after constantly stirring it.
- Enjoy your Ogbono soup served with any swallow of your choice.
N.B: The directions I gave you is the healthy way of making ogbono soup you can choose to fry your ogbono at the beginning of your cooking.
How to cook Ogbono Soup Video