I am so excited!! you know why because today is Saturday and every Saturday, I get to cook and eat my tasty oil-less okro soup. I am so happy to teach on how to make oil-less okro soup!!
Okro soup is one of the popular soups in Nigeria and it is very easy to prepare and very healthy too. It is so popular that many people believe that okro soup can be used to unify all tribes in Nigeria.
The Yorubas call is Ila alasepo, the Igbos call it Ofe okuru, the Hausa call it miyar kubewa, and the Akan in Ghana call it nkruma.
Okro soup can be prepared in many variations like plain okro,okro with vegetable,okro with ogbono, okro with egusi,okro pepper soup, the popular Nigerian okro soup and the upcoming oil-less okro soup which we will learn today.
Oil-less okro soup is a slight variation from the everyday okro soup, this soup is made with all other ingredients except palm oil
This delicious soup is very nutritious and good for children and adult. It can be eaten alone or it can be eaten with a swallow of your choice like eba, pounded yam,semovita, fufu, amala, wheat, etc.
Okro soup can be bought at a restaurant or you can join me and learn how to make oil-less okro soup
Other Popular Nigerian soup:
- HOW TO MAKE OKAZI SOUP
- How to make Fisherman soup
- HOW TO MAKE GROUNDNUT SOUP
- How to make groundnut soup
- HOW TO MAKE BLACK SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE FRESH FISH PEPPER SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE BITTER LEAF SOUP
- How to Make Egusi Soup
- How to Prepare Afang Soup
- How to make goat meat pepper soup
- Has diuretic properties, helps to detoxify the body
- Rich in magnesium and folate
- The meat and fish used in preparing this soup provides the body with protein
- Great source of fibre that helps to curb the desire of snacking after eating
- Packed with antioxidants like polyphenols that help in fighting cancer, ageing, oxidative stress, inflammation
- Due to the fibre content, it aids digestion and easy bowel movement
- Strengthen and boost the immune system
- Provides the body with Vitamin A, vitamin C, and Vitamin K
- Highly recommended for pregnant women
- 7-10 pieces of meat ( goat, chicken or beef)
- 3 cups of fresh okro
- 1 dry fish
- 4 scotch bonnet pepper
- smoked fish( 1)
- 2 handful of shredded leaves ( uziza, pumpkin or spinach)
- One onion
- Two seasoning cube
- A handful of fresh shrimps
- salt ( to taste)
- Periwinkle( optional)
- Firstly, wash the meat, remove bones from fish and keep separately.
- Then, blend the pepper and half onion, slice the remaining half onion, also wash and slice or grate the okro
- You can now place the meat into a pot, add seasoning, salt, sliced onion and set on fire
- Leave to boil in its juice for 5 minutes then add 1 cup of water
- Allow the meat to cook for 20 minutes, and then add the dried fish, fresh shrimp and smoked fish.
- Add the dried crayfish, blended pepper, seasoning cube, salt and allow to boil together, if the broth is too thick, you can add a little water.
- The sliced okro can be added now, stir the pot to have an even distribution. Taste the soup and make the necessary adjustment. the periwinkle can be added now.
- After 15 minutes, add the leaves, stir together. and put off heat
- Cover the soup and allow to cool for 5 minutes, this is to allow the vegetable cook.
- Your tasty Oil-less Okro soup is ready to be served alone or with any swallow of your choice.
Video on how to make Oil-less Okro soup
We are glad you have known how to make tasty Oil-less okro soup. we would love to hear from you, do not forget to like,share and invite families and friends to the page. Above all, do well to check the blog for other popular Nigerian soup like ofe owerri, Black soup etc. Cheers!!