Okpa is one food you will mistake for Moi Moi Elepo( Moi Moi made with palm oil) if you are seeing it for the first time because it looks just like it; but when you eat it, you will know that they are totally different.
This is one delicious delicacy that I know that at the end of this article on how to make Okpa you will love to add it to your kitchen recipes.
Okpa is made from Bambara nuts which is a proteinous legume. This wonderful dish hails from the southern region of Nigeria(The Igbos)but it is particularly unique to the people of Nsukka in Enugu state. Okpa in English is called Bambara nut or beans.
Bambara nuts originate from different West African countries such as Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Ghana e.t.c. In Nigeria, it is said that states like Enugu, Kogi, and Ebonyi cultivate this leguminous plant but they are not the major cultivators of this plant. The major state are Yola and Plateau.
In Enugu, people make a means livelihood from this dish and you will find it in the corner of the street. Okpa has traveled far because when traveling from one state to another, you will find this dish being sold on the expressway.
You may be wondering, how do they grind Okpa since it is a nut? Well, it is quite simple, the pods are shelled and then ground in a heavy-duty grinder into powdery form.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- How to make spaghetti
- HOW TO MAKE UKWA
- How to make Kokoro
- HOW TO MAKE SANDWICH
- HOW TO MAKE ISI EWU
- How to make Efo Riro
- How to make poundo yam
- How to make peppered snail
- how to make ewa agoyin
- How to make Akara with bean flour
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BAMBARA NUT
- Bambara nut prevents weight gain because it contains tryptophan which later creates serotonin which is good for weight management.
- It contains antioxidants which help in preventing cancer.
- It is also good for preventing malnourishment and this is because it contains the necessary nutrients for the body such as; carbohydrate, protein, and minerals.
- The presence of vitamins and minerals in okpa shields the body from arthritis and other bone diseases.
500g of Okpa flour
* 1/4 cup of palm oil
* 2 tbsp. of grounded crayfish
* 2 seasoning cubes
* A medium-sized onion
* Red pepper
* Salt to taste
* Warm water Banana leaves for cooking the okpa.
- In a mixing bowl, pour in the okpa flour, add the palm oil and mix generously till the color of the flour changes to yellow.
- Add warm water to the powder and mix. Make sure there is no lump and also the mixture is not watery.
- Add in the onions, pepper, crayfish, seasoning cubes and salt to taste.
- Pour in the mixture into the banana leaves and put in a pot of boiling water.
- Allow to cook for about 40-50 minutes.
N.B- Make sure you add water from time to time if the water dries up while cooking.
- Your delicious Okpa is ready, you can eat it by drinking garri, pap, tea.
VIDEO OF HOW TO MAKE OKPA:
I hope you love this article on how to make okpa and I hope you will also add Okpa to your kitchen recipes. Please don’t forget to like, share and comment on this post.