We will learn how to make palm oil rice today, this rice is also known with names like Nigerian jollof rice and Iwuk Edesi by the Akwa Ibom people.
Have you heard of concoction rice? some people call it this name too!
Rice is a staple food in Nigeria, and there are different amazing ways of cooking it. This is one such way!!
Palm oil rice is quite popular in the country and it is loved by adults and children. The ingredients used in preparing this tasty meal includes rice, locust beans ( iru), palm oil, pepper, tomatoes, and onion. you can add vegetables ( Ugu, Spinach) and proteins like beef, chicken, and fish.
This food can be served at home, ceremonies like birthday, dedication, burial. It is also sold in restaurants countrywide.
Palm oil rice is very tasty and nutritious too!!
Other Popular Nigerian Food:
- HOW TO MAKE OGI
- How to grill fish
- How to make Akara with bean flour
- HOW TO MAKE YAM PORRIDGE
- HOW TO MAKE EKURU
- How to make moi moi
- How to boil beans
- How to make Efo Riro
- How to make chicken pie
- HOW TO MAKE UKWA
Here are some health benefit of palm oil rice
- Prevents aging, brain disease
- Provides the body with sufficient Vitamin A
- Good for hair and skin health
- Rich in carbohydrate, a major source of energy
- Contains protein too
- Gives us Vitamin B, magnesium, iron, copper.
- The vegetables( tomatoes) added while making this dish also provide the body with lycopene an antioxidant which helps the body fight chronic diseases
- This meal is also high in fiber content which is good for digestion and bowel movement
These are the ingredients that will be needed
- 3 cups of rice
- 2 cooking spoon of palm oil
- 4 big tomatoes
- 6 pieces of pepper ( atarodo,tatashe,)
- Two medium-sized onion
- 2 tablespoonful of locust beans( iru)
- Two – Three smoked fish /dried fish
- beef, ponmo, or prawn( optional)
- 4 spoons of grinded crayfish
- vegetables like Ugu, scent leaf, spinach
- 3 cups of stock( chicken or beef) or water.
- First off all, Parboil rice for 5 minutes, drain and set aside
- Wash and blend tomatoes, pepper, and 1 onion
- Chop the remaining Onion and vegetable leaf to be used separately and set aside
- Clean dirt from the smoked fish, prawn, beef, and ponmo
- Set pot on fire, pour the palm oil and leave for 4 minutes
- Add chopped onions and fry till translucent. add the blended paste and locust beans
- Fry till dry, then add the fish, ponmo, prawn, grinded crayfish, seasoning cubes and salt.
- Pour stock or water into the mixture, leave to boil
- When it has gotten to a rolling boil, add the parboiled rice, stir, and taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Leave to cook on medium heat until the rice is soft
- Occasionally check the rice to avoid burning and also to add water if it gets dried before the rice is soft
- When the rice is cooked, add the chopped leaves ( ugu, scent leaf, or spinach)
- Leave to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Lastly, Stir the food appropriately and put off the heat
- Your tasty palm oil rice is ready for munching
How to make palm oil rice video
We are happy that you have known how to make palm oil rice, we would love to get your feedback, referral and more patronage from you. Above all, don’t forget to like and share.