Hello, You are welcome to another article where we would be learning how to make plantain mosa. I promise you that you will enjoy every bit of this article.
Plantain mosa as similar characteristics with our popular Nigerian puff puff. It is a new invention in the world of small chops, and it has come to stay.
You must be wondering, what is plantain mosa? It is a snack made with overripe plantains that are mashed and mixed together with other ingredients before frying in a deep boiling oil.
People are becoming familiar with that is why you can hardly go to any parties and not find it being served alongside other small chops. It is very sweet and savoury snack and it has been given other names like plantain puff puff, mosa balls e.tc.
If you have overripe plantains in your kitchen and you are wondering, what can I do with overripe plantain? You don’t need to bother much, just use it to make plantain mosa.
There are different variations in making this snack and a lot a twist can be made when making it. You can choose not to go for the ordinary plantain mosa by making peppered plantain mosa.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- How to make Eba
- How to make rice and beans
- HOW TO MAKE GIZDODO
- How to make Coconut Rice
- How to make spaghetti
- How to make Efo Riro
- HOW TO MAKE AGIDI
- HOW TO MAKE ISI EWU
- How to make omelet
- How to make Akara with bean flour
Tips To Get The Perfect Mosa:
- It must be round in shape. I have seen a lot of people making plantain mosa flat like Akara which is totally wrong, it should be round just like puff puff.
- The exterior part golden brown in colour after being fried and not black in colour.
- You must also avoid the interior part being too dense and thick, and this can be avoided by using the right ratio of flour and water.
- 2 large overripe plantains
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. of active dry yeast or baking powder ( if you want to make without yeast)
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 tbsp. of sugar
- vegetable oil for frying.
- To test if your yeast is active, you can simply just pour the yeast into a cup filled with a half a cup of the warm water and set aside.
- Peel the overripe plantain, cut into large chunks and mash using a fork or any tool for mashing till very smooth.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients such as flour, sugar and salt and set aside.
- Pour the mashed plantain into the dry ingredients, add in the yeast mixture and stir continuously. Take the remaining half cup of warm water and start adding bit by bit (avoid the mixture from being watery but just slightly thick)
- Cover the mixture with a cling film or a clean kitchen cloth and allow to rise for about 20-30 minutes.
- On a medium heat, place the frying pan and add in the vegetable oil, and heat for about 5- 10 minutes before you start frying.
- You can use to your hand to scoop the batter into the oil ao a spoon. Just ensure you scoop the batter a little by little.
- When one side of the ball is golden brown flip it to the other side till every side is brown and drain in a kitchen towel. Repeat this process till you have exhausted your batter.
- Your plantain mosa can be enjoyed alone at home with a chilled Chapman, Zobo or Ginger drink.
VIDEO OF HOW TO MAKE PLANTAIN MOSA:
I hope you enjoyed every bit of this article on how to make plantain mosa? Please don’t forget to like, comment and share this article.