Today’s article is on how to make rice and beans, the Nigerian way.
But the dish we are talking about is a combination of rice and beans, some people say its a combination of carbohydrate and protein! This meal is very nutritious.
If your kids find it hard to eat beans, you can try this dish with them and see as they wipe their plates clean.
Rice and beans is a popular meal although people would prefer the Jollof to them. You can boil the rice and beans separately but if you want to follow the Nigerian pattern, then you have to cook them together. It gives the food a unique taste and look!!
This meal is usually eaten with any type of sauce or stew like tomato stew, vegetable stew, Banga stew, Chicken sauce.
This meal is served in ceremonies like dedication, weddings and birthday, You can get it at any restaurant too
Other Popular Nigerian Food:
- HOW TO MAKE MASA
- how to make ewa agoyin
- How to make Fried Rice
- How to make semovita
- HOW TO MAKE PLANTAIN MOSA
- HOW TO MAKE OJOJO
- HOW TO MAKE CUSTARD POWDER
- HOW TO MAKE PLANTAIN PORRIDGE
- How to make peppered snail
- How to make Yamarita
Here are some Health benefits of this food
- Rich in protein, iron, carbohydrate, and complex carbohydrate.
- Contains nutrients that help to protect against heart disease and other chronic disease
- Provides the body soluble fiber which has been shown to lower blood cholesterol
- Prevent constipation and colon cancer
- Improve digestive health
- Also provides the body with sufficient energy
- Great choice for diabetic patient
- An excellent meal choice for weight management
- 1 cup of rice
- One cup of beans
- 2 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- Medium-sized onion ( one)
- First of all, pick the beans carefully to remove sand, dirt, and stones
- Soak the beans in cold water for 3 hours
- Take out the beans, boil for 6 minutes then discard the water
- This processes outlined above will help to reduce the flatulence and other issues associated with eating beans
- Now pour the beans into a pot, apply heat, add water to the level of the beans.
- Chop the onion and add, allow to boil for 40minutes or until the beans can be crushed with your hands
- So at this stage, you wash your rice thoroughly until the water comes out clean.
- Then add the rice into the pot, add salt and vegetable oil, leave to boil for 20minutes
- Occasionally check the pot to know when water gets dried, add water if necessary
- When the rice and beans is cooked, combine together and put off heat
- Finally, Your Nigerian rice and beans is ready to be served with any choice of stew or sauce and a chilled drink
Video on how to make rice and beans
We are happy that you have learnt how to make rice and beans. we would love you to check our blog for other wonderful Nigerian food like Ikokore, Ewa Agoyin. above all, do not forget to like, share and invite families and friends