Today’s post is on how to make sausage rolls. That yummy pastry that is loved by adult and children!!!!
This snack is one of the members of the small chops family. It is a pastry that is popularly sold by hawkers in a traffic jam. We have some popular brands in Nigeria, like gala, befie,bigi, rite etc.
It can be gotten from eateries. It is a pastry that is made of a dough wrapped around sausage and baked.
It is served in parties and ceremonies. In the everyday hustle and bustle on Nigeria streets, sausage roll and a chilled drink is a treat.
Sausage is made from grinded meat which could be pork, chicken, turkey or beef alongside seasonings and flavourings. But pork sausage is the most popular sausage.
It is loved by many people in Nigeria and enjoyed by the young and old. Follow through as you learn how to make sausage rolls
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- How to make Kokoro
- HOW TO MAKE YAM PORRIDGE
- HOW TO MAKE NKWOBI
- How to make soya bean cake( Wara)
- how to make ewa agoyin
- HOW TO MAKE OKPA
- How to make spring rolls
- How to make chicken curry sauce
- HOW TO MAKE MASA
- How to make pounded yam
- Provides the body with vitamins that help to maintain cells, eg nerve cells.
- Also helps to repair and formation of new cells
- Increases the immunity of the body
- Improves the health of the skin and hair
- For example, B vitamins help the body with energy production and also help form healthy red blood cells.
- Good source of energy as it contains a high amount of protein, carbohydrates.
- sausage provides the body with a considerable amount of minerals like sodium, iron and zinc
- Vitamin D is also present in sausage rolls.
- 300g of plain all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 15og margarine
- A big pinch of salt
- ½ cup of Water
- 1 raw egg
- 300g of sausage
- Grinded cayenne pepper( 1 teaspoon)
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1 teaspoon of grinded nutmeg
- Firstly, blend the sausage, and pour into a bowl, add seasoning cubes, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg
- Mix thoroughly and set aside
- Pour flour into a bowl, add the salt and baking powder. Mix together
- Add the margarine in bits into the flour, and mix together until you have what looks like crumbs
- Now add water bits by bits, do not pour all the water at once. Mix the crumbs as you add the water, continue mixing until you have a firm and smooth dough. Set aside
- Set your oven to 350F to preheat
- Take out the baking tray and grease it lightly, spread some flour on it and remove excess flour, set aside
- Break the egg, whisk and set aside
- Place the dough on a flat surface and knead for 5 minutes, cut out a bit of the dough and roll out the dough to a 3mm thickness
- It shouldn’t be too thick or too flat
- Use a sharp knife to cut out a rectangle shape, remove excess dough
- Place some of the seasoned sausage on the edge of the rolled dough and fold the dough like you would fold a mat.
- Now, you would have a big sausage roll, cut the roll into smaller sizes
- Repeat the process of rolling, shaping, filling, folding, and cutting until all the sausage and dough is finished
- With the use of a brush, rub the whisked egg on the rolls, place them in the baking pan
- Return the baking pan inside the oven and bake at 170C/350F for 40 minutes
- The sausage rolls are ready when the colour has changed to golden or light brown.
- You can serve and enjoy with a chilled drink!
Video on how to make sausage rolls
We are happy you have learnt how to make sausage rolls, we would love to read from you via comment and questions, furthermore, Invite families and friends! Above all, continue to check our page for other tasty Nigerian food like agidi, plantain porridge, okpa, etc.