Hello Everyone. Today’s post is on how to make soya bean cake popularly known as wara, beske, awara, or Nigerian tofu.
Soya bean cake is a snack that is made from blended soya beans and deep-fried with some spices. Soya bean is a nutritious legume and it has lots of uses. it can be used to make soymilk, soybean powder etc.
Wara is very popular in Kwara state and other Western and Northern states. It often serves as a substitute for meat. It is a tasty snack that is low in calories but abundant in protein.
The process of making soya bean cake is not rocket science, it is easy and straight forward. I like to think the process is similar to that of making pap( ogi( akamu))
In making soya bean cake, you would need coagulants such as lemon juice, or lime juice, or calcium sulphate, or apple cider vinegar, or magnesium chloride or fermented water from raw pap to separate solids from liquid.
If you are want to take the village with you to the city, I suggest you follow through as you learn how to make soya bean cake( wara) by yourself, anytime and anywhere!!!
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO MAKE COUSCOUS
- How to make spaghetti
- Nigerian food menu
- How to Make party Jollof Rice
- HOW TO MAKE GIZDODO
- How to make fried yam
- HOW TO MAKE CUSTARD POWDER
- How to make peppered chicken
- How to make Shawarma
- How to make sausage rolls
- High in protein content and dietary fibre
- Aids digestion and bowel movement
- Boost and improve the immune system
- contains Vitamin B, Vitamin C and Vitamin K, that is beneficial to our body
- helps to strengthen blood vessels
- great choice of food, if you want to shed some weight
- Reduces cholesterol level
- Rich in iron and manganese, also improve the health of the bones
- Good for people who have lactose intolerance
- Beneficial to diabetic patient.
- A substantial amount of potassium, magnesium, zinc is present also.
- 3 cups of raw soya beans
- 1 teaspoon of magnesium chloride or 75ml of freshly squeezed lime juice
- Vegetable oil
- 3 habanero pepper( blended)
- One raw egg
- A big pinch of salt
- Seasoning cube
- Firstly, pick the soya beans, remove all stones and dirt.
- Place the soya bean in a bowl and pour water to cover the soya bean and leave overnight or 4 – 6 hours!
- After the soaking time is over, rinse the soya bean again and grind it into a fine paste
- Add water ( 3 cups) into the blended soybean. place a sieve ( chiffon cloth) in a big bowl or pot, pour the paste into the sieve and separate the milk from the chaff
- The chaff is what remains in the sieve and it is useful while the liquid that came out from the sieve is the soya milk
- Pour the milk into a large pot and set on fire, occasionally stir the pot to avoid the milk spilling over. allow to boil
- Dissolve the magnesium chloride in half cup of water and pour into the boiling milk
- Allow to boil for 3 minutes, then turn off the heat. Leave to coagulate for 5 minutes
- Rinse the sieve( chiffon cloth) and place it a big bowl, then pour in the contents of the pot. tie the sieve and place a heavy object on it to drain out excess water
- After 30 minutes, untie the sieve, remove the soya bean cake and place in a tray. cut into smaller sizes and add the blended pepper.
- In a bowl, break the egg and add the seasoning cube with a little water and whisk together until you get a homogenous mixture
- Place the wara inside the egg mix and rub the eggs on it.
- Set your pan on fire and pour vegetable oil
- When it gets hot, place the soya bean cake in the oil and fry until the colour changes to golden brown
- Your soya bean cake is ready to be served with a sauce or a chilled drink.
video on how to make soya bean cake ( wura)
We are happy that you have learnt how to make soya bean cake( wara). we would love to get your feedback, comments and questions. Also, Do not forget to check our page for other tasty Nigerian dishes like palm oil rice , akara, Kokoro peppered snail etc. Above all, continue to invite families and friends. cheers!!!!!