Happy new month, guys! Today’s post is on how to make spring rolls, a fast-rising member of the small chops family.
Spring roll originated from China and has since spread to other countries as well. In Nigeria, many people are beginning to love spring rolls!
Spring roll is a general name for a large variety of rolled, filled pastries found in China, Eastern Asian, Southeastern Asian, and South Asian cuisine. The fillings, name, wrappings and preparation method differs in different regions.
In China, they have the non-fried spring rolls and the fried rolls and they are often eaten during the Spring festival, Cold food day festival and Tomb-sweeping day festival in mainland China.
Making these tasty snacks is not a herculean task as you might have heard, the process is easy and doable. A spring roll wrapper is required when making a spring roll, it can be bought or homemade by you.
The fillings are primarily made of vegetables like cabbage, carrot, peas, meat can be added, and it is served traditionally with a sauce!!
The making of spring roll is divided into 3 steps, which are, making the wrapper, making the filling and binder, frying the pastry! follow-through as you learn how to make spring roll.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO BOIL RICE
- How to make peppered snail
- How to make spaghetti
- HOW TO MAKE EKURU
- HOW TO MAKE PLANTAIN PORRIDGE
- How to make Kokoro
- HOW TO MAKE ISI EWU
- How to make Yam balls
- HOW TO MAKE COUSCOUS
- How to make semovita
- Protein helps support a healthy body weight and aids weight loss
- Low in calorie and edible fat, making it a good choice for your weight loss plan
- Good source of energy as it contains a significant amount of protein, carbohydrates.
- Spring roll help to improve digestion, the health of the digestive system and also promote bowel movement.
- Presents the body with other vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin B, folate, and minerals like potassium, calcium, manganese
- High in fibre and possess antioxidant like polyphenols
- For spring roll wrapper
- 300g of flour ( all-purpose flour)
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or cornflour
- Half teaspoon of salt
- For the filling
- 250g of minced chicken or beef
- 5 carrots
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 handfuls of green peas
- 250g cabbage
- I onion
- Two tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Seasoning cubes (2)
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper, curry powder and chilli pepper each
- For the binder
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon of water
- 1 cup of vegetable oil ( for frying)
- Firstly, We will make the spring roll wrapper first.
- Mix the flour, salt and corn starch together until fully blended
- Add water gradually as you continue mixing until a stretchy batter is formed
- Knead the batter by lifting and slamming it on the bowl
- Repeat the lifting and slamming until the batter is really stretchy, then cover and keep in a cool place (fridge) for 3 hours
- After the 3 hours, it would be somewhat solid but still stretchy, knead it a little.
- Heat up a non-stick pan, reduce to low, then scoop some batter in your hands and smear on the pan in a circular motion.
- After some minutes, the sides of the wrap will start to curl/pop up, carefully lift it up and place on a plate, cover immediately with a damp towel
- Repeat the process of smearing until all the dough is finished
- Secondly, For the filling
- Wash, clean and cut all vegetables
- Preheat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan, add onions and sauté till translucent, add chilli pepper, black pepper, curry, seasoning cubes and salt
- Add the minced meat and stir fry until the meat is cooked, then add the cabbage, green pepper, peas, carrot and stir thoroughly
- Turn off the heat and leave to cool
- In a cup, mix 1 tablespoon of flour and 2 tablespoons of water thoroughly to make the binder and set aside
- Spread out a spring roll wrapper and add 1 tablespoon of filling, fold the wrapper and seal the edges with the binder
- Heat up the remaining vegetable oil in a pan until very hot e.g. 3500F, place the spring roll in the pan and fry until the colour changes to golden brown
- Repeat the process till all the filling and wrapper is finished
- Place the fried spring roll in a paper towel to drain out excess oil
- Furthermore, You can decide to bake the spring roll instead of deep-frying, it is fine, just bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 2000C
- Your crunchy and tasty spring roll is ready when the colour is golden brown.
- It is served alone or with a sweet, sour or soy sauce.
Video on how to make spring rolls
We are confident that you have learnt how to make spring roll, do well to check our page for other delicious Nigerian food like agidi, ojojo,semovita etc. Furthermore, We would love you to drop comments, feedbacks and questions. Above all, invite families and friends. Cheers!!!