You are welcome to today’s article on how to make Tigernut flour, this article will help you see ways you can enhance healthy living through the use of tiger nut flour.
Tigernut flour as the name may sound is gotten from tiger nut. It is a very nutritious flour because it is gluten and paleo free.
Some people who are allergic think tiger nut is a type of nut, that is why they avoid it. Well, it is actually not a nut but a small root vegetable.
It is cultivated in Africa, North Africa to be precise and you will find it mostly cultivated in Eygpt but it is now vast the shores of Eygpt. It has extended to other West Africa countries like Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Guinea e.tc.
In Nigeria, It is mainly grown in the Northern region, most especially in Kastina state. The most exciting part is tiger nut is available in the market all year round i.e. It has no season, so you can always have it in your kitchen.
Tiger nut has found its way to Nigeria due to the high popular demand for nutritious foods. People are now avoiding our popular Nigerian foods because of their high carbohydrate content which is not really good for our health.
Before now, people only used tiger nut in making tiger nut milk and milk powder but it can be used way more than that. There two different types of tiger nut flour, the low-carb and the high carb flour.
The high carb flour is mostly found in the tiger nut flour in stores.
The process involves toasting it till the nut is dehydrated which makes it easier to grind it to flour. The low- carb is usually homemade flour which is the Tigernut chaff left after extracting the milk out of it.
You can make different types of food and snacks from the Tigernut flour. We have Tigernut cake, cookies, Tigernut fufu e.t.c.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO MAKE TIGER NUT FLOUR
- HOW TO MAKE COCONUT FLOUR
- How to make coleslaw
- HOW TO PREPARE ZOBO DRINK
- How to make Kunu
- HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SWALLOW
- HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE ICE CREAM
- HOW TO MAKE CHAPMAN
- HOW TO SOYA BEANS POWDER
- HOW TO MAKE COCONUT OIL
- It contains high fiber content which helps in making the body maintain a good shape.
- They are a good source of magnesium which is very good for the body because it helps to develop the muscles.
- It provides a substantial amount of potassium to the body which in turn helps the body to process carbohydrate.
- Due to the dietary fiber, it contains, it helps to control diabetes.
- 2 cups of tigernut
- 8 cups of hot water
- 1 cup of lukewarm water(for soaking)
- Soak the tigernut into lukewarm water for about 24hrs.
- After 24hrs, drain the tigernut, place in a blender and pour in a small amount of water( about 1/2 cup of water). Blend the mixture on high speed for about 4-5minutes.
- Add more water to the mixture if it is dry and blend, then add the remaining water and blend. Let it rest for about 12- 15 minutes.
- Pour the liquid into a cheesecloth into a bowl, strain the mixture in the cheesecloth using your hands ( make sure you completely squeeze out the milk)
- You can keep the tigernut milk in the fridge for refreshment.
- Continue by by spreading the tiger nut pulp( chaff) into an oven tray.
- Preheat the oven for about 165- 170 F. Place the chaff in the oven and dehydrate for about 4- 5 hrs or till it’s dry.
- Once it is dry, pour into a food processor or dry blender and blend for about 2 minutes.
- Your Tigernut flour is ready.
VIDEO OF HOW TO MAKE TIGERNUT FLOUR:
I hope you have learned a lot from this article on how to make tigernut flour. Please don’t forget to like, share and comment on this article. You can check our other posts on how to make coconut flour, coconut oil and carrot oil