Welcome, everyone. Today’s post is on how to make Tom brown. You might be wondering, what is tom brown, is that not the name of a popular person. Do not worry, by the end of this post, you will know what it is and why you need to add it to your food menu at home.
The name ( Tom Brown) is popular and has been answered by people in different areas of life. But Tom brown here on Chowhub is a breakfast meal that is popular in Ghana and northern Nigeria.
It is a meal that is usually prescribed for babies that are undergoing weaning but it is also good for adults too.
Tom brown consist of corn, guinea corn, groundnut, millet, soya beans and any other nut, you might want to add. It is basically a cereal meal, so other ingredients like crayfish, dry fish, fruits, are added to improve its nutritional component.
The soybean, corn, guinea corn, groundnut and millet used in making this food are very good for the body. Infant and adult alike.
Making tom brown is not quite complex but one should be careful in order to have a good meal. so sit tight and follow through as we learn how to make tom brown.
Other Popular Nigerian food:
- HOW TO MAKE OKPA
- How to make Eba
- HOW TO MAKE UKWA
- How to make Yamarita
- How to make semovita
- How to Prepare Jollof Rice
- How to make chicken curry sauce
- HOW TO MAKE EKURU
- HOW TO MAKE CUSTARD POWDER
- How to make moi-moi with beans flour
- Contains Vitamin C, Vitamin B and Vitamin K, that is beneficial to our body
- Soya bean is high in protein and other essential vitamins which is necessary for the growth of babies.
- Also good for babies who are intolerant to lactose
- Tom Brown is 100% natural, this means it retains its nutrients after processing.
- It is high in carbohydrate, a good source of energy
- This meal is good for the health of the heart
- Helps to repair worn out tissues
- Groundnut contains Vitamin B3 which help boost the memory and allow the brain to function well
- Provides the body with vitamin E, magnesium, folate, copper, and arginine
- The foliate found in groundnut is also good and healthy for pregnant women
- Tom brown is high in dietary fibre
- Which aids digestion and easy bowel movement.
- Yellow corn ( 1kg)
- Guinea corn ( 500g)
- Peeled Roasted groundnut ( 200g)
- Millet ( 500 g)
- Soya bean ( 500g)
- Crayfish ( 200g) Optional.
- other nuts or fruits which is optional
- Firstly, pick out the dirt and stones in the grains
- Then, fry/ roast the corn, guinea corn, millet, soybean separately
- Note: do not let them pop like popcorn
- When you are done with roasting the soya bean, de-coat it.
- At this point, you can start cleaning the crayfish, nuts and any other dry ingredient you want to add.
- Allow all the grains to cool down, then combine evrything and grind them till smooth and in finely powdered form.
- Your nutritious Tom Brown is ready.
- Do not forget to store in an air-tight container.
- Now we move on to how to prepare Tom brown.
- The process is similar to that of making Ogi or custard.
- Or you can try this method.
- In a clean pot, mix the desired quantity in cold water.
- Set the stove or gas on low heat, place the pot on the fire and continue stirring.
- Stir constantly for 7-10 minutes.
- Put off the heat, when the meal is thick as desired.
- You can serve the tom brown with milk or fruit.
Video on how to make Tom brown
We are happy that you have learnt how to make tom brown, do well to like, comment, share and invite families and friends, furthermore, we invite you to check our blog for other Nigerian food like wara, yam balls, ogi, kokoro etc. Cheers.