In this article, you will learn how to make a vegetable sauce with ugu which is one of people’s favourite vegetable sauce. There are a lot of vegetables that are good and delicious for making soups, but when you want to make a sauce, ugu is the best to cook with.
Am very sure some people might be wondering what is so special about ugu that made me say it is the best for making sauce. It is very nutritious and crunchy which makes it suitable for making sauce.
Ugu sauce is very easy to make, healthy and also very cheap. You do not require a lot of ingredients like when you are making your popular ‘Efo riro’.
It is known as fluted pumpkin leaves over the world and one of the attributes of pumpkins just like watermelon is that they contain a lot of water, vitamins B6, vitamin A, carotene and vitamin E and also provides numerous skin benefits.
This vegetable sauce made with ugu can be enjoyed and served with yam, white rice, boiled plantain, sweet potatoes e.t.c.
Other Popular Nigerian soup:
- HOW TO MAKE OKAZI SOUP
- How to make goat meat pepper soup
- How to make Ogbono Soup
- How to make chicken pepper soup
- How to make Fisherman soup
- HOW TO MAKE ATAMA SOUP
- How to make Ewa Agoyin stew
- HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE SAUCE WITH UGU
- HOW TO MAKE BLACK SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE NSALA SOUP
HEALTH BENEFITS OF UGU LEAVES
- It helps in fighting cancer: Due to the presence of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties in ugu, it helps in fighting against any dreaded illness such as cancer.
- They can help in preventing osteoporosis: because of the high calcium content in pumpkin leaves. It helps in strengthening the bones which in turn helps to lower the risk of having osteoporosis.
- Good for treating anaemia: Fluted pumpkin leaves contain iron which helps in the treatment of and prevention of iron deficiency anaemia. When the leaves are eaten regularly, it helps in preventing anaemia.
- Effective for weight loss: Vegetables such as fluted pumpkin leaves contain a good amount of dietary fibre which helps you to lose weight because it makes you fuller and also reduces your appetite.
- It improves fertility: For centuries, ugu leaves has been used for local treatment for infertility problems in men and women. It contains a lot of important nutrients which has been proven to be good.
5 Red Bell Pepper (Tatashe)
2-3 Scotch Bonnet (Atarodo)
3 Handful of shredded ugu leaves
2 Cooking Spoon of Palm Oil
Any boiled assorted meats of your choice
Shredded smoked fish (Panla or Shawa)
1/2 cup of Shrimps
2 Seasoning cubes
3 tablespoons of grounded Crayfish
Salt to taste
- You start by chopping, slicing or blending the scotch bonnet, red bell pepper and onions coarsely and set aside.
- Place a pot on heat, add the palm oil and allow to heat up for about 2-3 minutes, chop the second onions and add into the heated palm oil, fry till it becomes translucent.
- Add in the blended pepper, 2 tsp. of the crayfish, the seasoning cubes and salt to taste. Allow to fry for about 15minutes but make sure you stir continuously.
- At this junction, add the shredded smoked fish, shrimp and boiled assorted meat
- Stir the sauce and check if the taste needs any adjustment and allow to fry more for 8- 10minutes.
- Add the washed vegetable leaves, stir and add the 1tsp. of crayfish and combine properly.
- Allow to cook for about 3 minutes.
- Your vegetable sauce with ugu is ready.
HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE SAUCE WITH UGU VIDEO:
I hope you enjoyed the article on how to make a vegetable sauce with ugu. Please don’t forget to like, share and comment on this article. You can check our other articles on Efo riro, Egusi soup, Owo soup and Okazi soup.