Let me share a secret about myself, eating and teaching how to make yam porridge is one thing I can never get tired of, this is because I love yam porridge more than even plantain porridge
I bet you love to eat yam porridge too.
Yam is one of the staple food in Nigeria and it is eaten in almost all homes. Yam is a tuber crop that is grown mostly in the eastern part of the country. The Igbos consider yam as one of their indigenous food, they even have a festival to celebrate the harvesting of yam.
We have different species of yam like water yam, purple yam, white yam, etc. Many countries around the world have yam as one of their main food.
Yam porridge is one of the many ways we can prepare yam, it is different but similar to what the Yorubas call Asaro.
Asaro/ Osaro is a Yoruba meal that looks like yam porridge, leaf are not added when cooking it and the yam is usually mashed when done and it is eaten with fried stew ( Obe ata din din).
Yam porridge is usually prepared with leaves and various protein too. This meal is loved and eaten by both children and adults
It is served during ceremonies and even sold in restaurants. You can never get enough of this meal.
Other Popular Nigerian Food:
- HOW TO MAKE EKURU
- Nigerian food menu
- How to make Coconut Rice
- How to make Ofada rice
- How to Prepare Jollof Rice
- How to make moi moi
- How to make Shawarma
- How to make fried yam
- HOW TO MAKE ABACHA
- How to make rice and beans
Here are some health benefits of yam porridge
- High in fiber content, which aids in digestion and bowel movement
- Provides the body with Vitamin like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B
- Improves vision and boost the immune system
- This meal is good also good for pregnant women as it contributes to the development of the fetus
- It has been shown to lower hypertension
- Contains folate which is essential for the nervous system
- Has potassium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, copper, calcium and iron
- Reduce the risk of heart diseases
- Possesses antioxidant properties
- Presence of allantoin that is good for the health of our skin
- 1 tuber of yam
- 4 pieces of pepper
- Smoked fish/ dry fish
- Two cooking spoon of palm oil
- 3 tablespoon of grinded crayfish
- Three cups of chicken or beef stock
- A handful of vegetable ( Ugu, Spinach, Scent leaf)
- Seasoning cubes
- Firstly, peel the skin of the yam, chop into smaller bits, wash and keep aside
- Blend peppers, chop the onion
- Clean the fish to be used, remove bones and shred.
- Wash the vegetables and slice the vegetables into small bits
- Place pot on the fire and add the yam.
- Pour in the stock, blended pepper, onion, grinded crayfish, and seasoning cube and allow to boil
- As it starts boiling, add the fish, palm oil and salt.
- Allow to boil until the yam is cooked, stir the food and taste, adjust the seasoning if it is needed
- Add the vegetables and put off heat.
- Finally, combine the yam porridge appropriately and allow to cool
- Your delicious yam porridge is ready to be served at any time of the day!!!!!
Video on how to make yam porridge
Certainly, we know that you have learnt how to make yam porridge, we would love to hear from you. Above all, do not forget to share and invite families and friends