Zobo drink is a popular traditional drink which originated from the Northern part of Nigeria. The drink is produce from dry sepals of the Roselle flower (Hibiscus sabdariffa) which is a type plant from the Hibiscus plant family. It is a native plant from West Africa.
The drink is loved because of its tasty flavor and its health benefits. The drink name(Zobo) initially came from Nigeria, West Africa, but ever since the drink started gaining acceptance all over the world and consumed in many places, the drink is now being called different names. For example, it has called Sorrel by the people of Caribbean, in Sudan it is called Karkade, the Mexicans call it Aguas Frescas. Nevertheless, once you mention the name ‘Zobo’ drink, people will understand what you are talking about. It is one of the most consumed local or traditional drinks from Nigeria but it is now consumed in many countries at different places.
Zobo drink can be prepared with sugar to sweetened the drink while some people prefer making their zobo drink with dates to make it a complete healthy.The drink can be prepared in different ways by adding different flavors or fruits in it. This bright wine drink can be consumed every day and as a nourishment drink or as refreshment drink in parties. This drink is readily available, tasty, affordable, refreshing with a lot of health benefits. Zobo leaves contains a lot of nutrients such as; Calcium, vitamin C, fiber, iron, niacin, phosphorus, carotene, thiamine etc.
You can prepare the Zobo drink recipe at home .You can prepare the Zobo drink with watermelon or any other ingredients like ginger, garlic pineapple, lemon, orange, strawberry, lime, sugar or honey etc.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ZOBO DRINK
- The drink is very nutritious, all the nutrients mentioned in the above paragraph improves your health and improve the roles of many tissues, organs, and systems in our body. This drink helps to strengthen the immune system and boosts your total health.
- The drink helps to improve eye sight. The presence of carotene in zobo drink helps the body converts it into vitamin A. vitamin A preserves the eyes healthy, it increases clear and healthy visions. It also prevents the eye from having problems such as night blindness.
- It helps to restore appetite. Zobo drink contains many vitamins and minerals like calcium, carotene, iron etc. The nutrients found in zobo can help you restore your loss appetite.
- It solves constipation problems. The drink has high level of fibre. Fiber helps to treat constipation problems, so if you have a problem with your digestion, it is advisable to take zobo daily to treat constipation and improve your digestive system.
- It helps to increase our energy level. The presence of riboflavin and vitamin B2 in Zobo leaves increases our energy level and helps to fight mild chronic fatigue.
- It guards against having kidney problems. The drink is usually recommended to patient from any kidney problems. Organic acids such as: acetic acid, maleic acid, citric acid, acetic acid, tartaric acids helps the kidney to function well and they are present in zobo. It also eradicates wastes from the kidneys and body.
N.B: Don’t add sugar or any other artificial sweeteners when making zobo for the health benefits of your kidneys.
- It helps to prevent cancer .Daily consumption of zobo causes an increase in the level of antioxidants in our body thus preventing and treating cancer. These antioxidants improve the immune system and thwart cancer any other diseases
- It reduces high blood pressure. The drink fights against pre-hypertension and mild hypertension. The presence of enzyme inhibitors which puts a stop to the production of amalyse and this process helps to reduce blood pressure.
- It enhances weight loss. The drink enhances weight loss and it helps to maintain a healthy weight.
- 2 cups of dried zobo leaves
- 1 rhizome of Ginger
- 1 big rind of pineapple
- 10 cups of water
- 1 cup of sugar(if required)
- Rinse the dust out of your zobo leaves, blend the ginger and peel your pineapple cut into slices.
- Put the rinsed zobo leaves into a pot and add water enough to cover the leaves.
- Cook on medium heat on your burner and allow to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the blended ginger, add little water and continue boiling for about 30 minutes. By this time the zobo leaves will start getting soft.
- After the zobo leaves is soft, turn off the heat, set aside to cool down totally.
- Blend your pineapples when your zobo cools down
- When the drink is cool, sieve out the zobo leaves. Then transfer the juice through a cloth sieve to remove any tiny particles and you will be left with a smooth juice.
- Add the blended pineapple juice. You can also sieve it through the cloth sieve to avoid any particles.
- You can also add any artificial flavors and stir.
- Pour into jug or bottles and refrigerate it.
- You can serve it with iced cubes and enjoy.
HOW TO MAKE ZOBO VIDEO:
Don’t forget to share and comment. if you like Northern Nigerian delicacies, you may want to see this article we wrote on how to make couscous